Switch pitch converter

I picked up a used 12" SP stock converter but I didn't hear it run or drive the car it came out of. Is there any end play tests or other things I can check without cutting it open to see if it has possibilitys. Don't want to put it in something some day if it is bad. Tom W confused.gif" border="0

My 67 service manual outlines a leak check/end clearance check, but some unusual specialized tools are used. Since installing a bad converter can waste a tranny, I'd take it to a shop that can perform the check for you. <P>Have you already installed a switch pitch trans? Good luck!

Hello, I ran a SP setup for years until I had problems with a modified SP converter and had the trans out 5 times to fix it and never did get it fixed. Also lost my perfect stock 12" SP converter because I was told that the guy needed parts to fix my "good" one. So I ended up with no stock converter and a useless modified one. frown.gif" border="0 Tom W.

Sorry to hear that sad story. I had my 12" VP converter apart for some minor mods, but luckily I had the help of a converter rebuilder who had interest in my project.<P>FYI, if you manage to get someone to help with you check the converter, my manual says total end clearance of the internals should be 0.050" or less. If you'd like, I can scan the one page procedure (shows some illustrations) and e-mail a *.jpg file to you.

Hello, all, I am curios as to what a good working TH 400 Variable Pitch trans with a 12" ST300 converter might be worth? It was rebuilt and has a B&M shift kit. It shifts really hard and always worked super. Thinking about trying to sell it on E-bay. Is a $500 minimum to much? Also have a 72 skylark grille.Poston 455 BHJ balancer,1 year old, like new. And a 69 {I THINK} GS steering wheel. Might have been a California GS, not 100% sure on that. smile.gif" border="0 Tom W. 72455gsx@charter.net