How do you remove this '29 Plymouth oil line?

Guest 29Plymouth

Guest 29Plymouth

The external oil pump on the right side of my '29 Plymouth Model U engine is fed by a copper oil line that passes through the block via a packing nut. The end inside the engine connects to an oil strainer and screen.

The trouble is this: the inner end of the copper line is slightly expanded - not flared but stretched just enough that the brass fitting won't come off ... and the line won't snake through the engine block with the fitting installed.

I am completely unfamiliar with this set-up. If I file or collapse the stretched end so the brass fitting slips off, I'm assuming I'll have a loose - and therefore leaky - connection later, which I certainly don't want in my main oil line.

Is there some way to either remove this line safely now or to later re-expand the inner end so the brass fitting again fits tightly against it?

By the way, I must remove the line before placing the engine in a machine that fires tiny stainless-steel shot at the block, which cleans the engine so it looks newly minted. I'm sure the copper couldn't stand this. Even if it could, it would be difficult to clean the line out afterward!

The accompanying photo shows the inner end of the oil line I'm trying to remove. To the immediate right of the brass fitting, you can see the end of the copper oil line, which is slightly expanded to keep the brass fitting from sliding off. (The main-bearing stud in the background is distracting because it appears to be connected to the brass fitting but it is not!)

post-81433-143139132958_thumb.jpg

The external oil pump on the right side of my '29 Plymouth Model U engine is fed by a copper oil line that passes through the block via a packing nut. The end inside the engine connects to an oil strainer and screen.

The trouble is this: the inner end of the copper line is slightly expanded - not flared but stretched just enough that the brass fitting won't come off ... and the line won't snake through the engine block with the fitting installed.

I am completely unfamiliar with this set-up. If I file or collapse the stretched end so the brass fitting slips off, I'm assuming I'll have a loose - and therefore leaky - connection later, which I certainly don't want in my main oil line.

Is there some way to either remove this line safely now or to later re-expand the inner end so the brass fitting again fits tightly against it?

By the way, I must remove the line before placing the engine in a machine that fires tiny stainless-steel shot at the block, which cleans the engine so it looks newly minted. I'm sure the copper couldn't stand this. Even if it could, it would be difficult to clean the line out afterward!

The accompanying photo shows the inner end of the oil line I'm trying to remove. To the immediate right of the brass fitting, you can see the end of the copper oil line, which is slightly expanded to keep the brass fitting from sliding off. (The main-bearing stud in the background is distracting because it appears to be connected to the brass fitting but it is not!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]149763[/ATTACH]

The short answer is you dont remove it without the need to make up a new fitting, having said that, why not just mask up the exposed line so it doesnt get damaged ?

Guest DodgeKCL

Masking is a good idea but how about a rubber hose over it. Masking tape may wear through during the shot blasting. Plug the ends with machine bolts that will just screw in tight to the rubber. I have protected stuff this way myself. But I agree he would have to re/re the fitting to have the pipe out during any cleaning.