Need advice on what motor oil to use for 36 buick 40

A word of caution regarding oils.... It is generally accepted that if your engine has not been rebuilt, you should avoid oils with additives that suspend solids to clean your engine (commonly called "detergent" oils). Many older engines do not have full flow oil filters to remove suspended solids and were designed with large oil pans to allow solids to settle out. If you have an unrestored engine, such oils will actually pick up the solids already settled out in your engine and circulate them throughout your engine causing excess wear.

I agree with Marks advise and caution. Use an appropriate viscosity oil for your climate (I use 30 Wt non-detergent in my 37) and avoid any additives. Look for an oil that is non-detergent, often labeled as ND. As Mark said, modern detergent oils have additaves designed to suspend particles in the oil so that the filter can remove them. In your case there is no filter so the idea is to let the particles settle into the bottom of the oil pan so they do not cause dammage by being circulated through the engine.

I would also pull the oil pan off and clean out the sludge. It could get sucked up in the pick up and completly shut your oil supply off.. I pulled mine after reading where some one posted on this site they burn up their engine,,, glad I pulled mine off, it was a mess,also raised my oil pressure,,, simple job, just drop the sway bar and it's a straight shot... good Luck... As said in these replys use only non detergent oil, or your engine will come apart..

I also have a 36 that I just bought. The oil had just been changed and I do not know what is in it, so I have a change coming up soon. I have read on old cars that the zink is very important to help preserve the camshaft. I would assume that is true on a Buick as well. That would mean using an oil with zink or adding ZZDD what ever it is they are calling the additive. Rotel diesel oil and Valvoline racing oil both have the additive in them. It is something not in most oils to help meet emissions. Agreeing with the "no detergent" this indicates that a cheap oil might be the best route, but reading the ingredients is important.