Sign in to follow this  
StudebakerBigBlock

1951 Nash Statesman flat 6 lemans head 2 carbs . need help on info

i recently purchased a 51 nash 2 door , pretty solid body , engine runs great, needs floor work , but ive never seen a factory aluminum head and twin carb setup like this with factory air filter . i cant seam to find any pictures or info to compare what i have . also i dont know what the value of this car is . solid body , needs restored, needs many patches in he floor but the body is rust free , and it drives good . any help ?? post or e mail texastoad24@aol.com

i forgot to mention its a flat head .
You didn't need to............they all were

Nash had the Lemans Dual Jet fire for a few years, these are pictures of my dads 1954 Nash Ammbassador. They also put the same engine in the Nash Healeys, I believe.

Where are you located? Any pictures of the car?

post-49151-143139130886_thumb.jpg

post-49151-143139130855_thumb.jpg

Actually it is a bit surprising to have dual carbs on a flathead. Ambasadors were all overhead. With the design of the intake manifold it is fairly easy to modify the top cover plate for more carbs.

Guest BJM
i forgot to mention its a flat head .
Wrong. All Nash's had Overhead valve 6's. See photo following your comment.

Guest BJM
i recently purchased a 51 nash 2 door , pretty solid body , engine runs great, needs floor work , but ive never seen a factory aluminum head and twin carb setup like this with factory air filter . i cant seam to find any pictures or info to compare what i have . also i dont know what the value of this car is . solid body , needs restored, needs many patches in he floor but the body is rust free , and it drives good . any help ?? post or e mail texastoad24@aol.com

Statesmans are not as collectible as Ambassadors. An Ambassador 6 with the LeMans engine would be a top of the line model. Statesman 2 doors are rarely seen. Most Nash's (as with most manufacturers) were 4 doors.

As you know, these are "quirky" love em or hate em cars. Nash, Hudson, Packard and Kaiser-Frazer all zagged when GM and Chrysler stayed put with conventional bodies. This was the upside down bathtub era. Nash collectors who have them know they are weird and accept that. Not everyone needs to collect a mainstream car.

The LeMans was usual to these straight 6 manufacturers. IF you weren't coming out with a high compression V8, then you tried to gussy up the straight decades old motor. Hudson had the TWIN H, Nash went with an aluminum head (higher compression) and updated carbs.

Is it desirable? Absolutely! For Nash freaks, especially the bathtub Nashes, they would want this rarely seen item to complete a special car. Let's see some photos

Thanks for the heads up , i happen to have bathtubs , a 50 statesman 4 door flat 6 29k original mile car , now the 51 2 door , and a pair of studebaker hot rods, , im trying to post some pictures , but keeps having load problems. ill keep trying .

Guest BJM

I don't understand the flathead 6. I will have to research that but Nashs were always OHV 6 cylinders. Nash was originally a member of the early Buick team before going off on his own. Buick staked their claim on OHV engines so Nash did as well.

post-87472-143139133424_thumb.jpgi found the pro date and my 50 has a date of 3-27-50 on the engine, the 51 nash with the aluminum head shows 2-14 55 , so i wonder now what this 55 nash enging came out of with this setup .

post-87472-143139133371_thumb.jpg

post-87472-143139133398_thumb.jpg

Some of you guys need to read the AMC Family Album book. Ambassadors almost always had overhead valve sixes from the 1940s through the mid-1950s, except towards the end where the Packard V8 and Nash's 327 V8 were available. A few of the Ambassador sixes had the optional twin carburetors on the OHV engine--I have one of these in my garage. A few Ambassadors in the 1930s had straight eights.

On the other hand, the Nash 600, which became the Nash Statesman later on, almost always had a flathead six. This was the smaller, cheaper Nash. Some of them in the 1950s had the optional twin carburetors on the flathead six. And towards the very end, a few of the Statesman models could be had with an OHV six.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

1954 Nash Ambassador Country Club hardtop

Sorry I can't help with the dual carb clarification and sounds really Super (pun intended) but.... I have an original 1951 Nash "Canadian Statesman" and it has the flathead 6. Any literature I have says there were both the flathead and overhead valve 6's made this year along with V8 automatics too, mostly in the upper series. I agree that a two door model is scarce and personally like the lines but being that mine has been in the family for 44 years... like my bathtub.

Doug.

post-36036-143139138103_thumb.jpg