Sign in to follow this  
Old Dodger

Help to identify bumper insignia/badge

Can anyone help me to identify the insignia on this bumper. I've been told these bumpers are from a 1929 Dodge sedan. Any help to id bumpers would be appreciated too........Thanks

post-87257-143139125557_thumb.jpg

post-87257-143139125588_thumb.jpg

post-87257-14313912562_thumb.jpg

NOT a Dodge Brothers bumper.....looks like a "G" for Griffin. And....there are two griffins on the badge. 1929 Dodge Brothers bumper looks like this.....

post-37352-143139125674_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Wow.....I've never seen a Gardner.Thanks for the education and the photos. She's a bute...lots of work on the restoration I bet. Many thanks for the identification of the bumper.

Hello Old Dodger,

The bumper insignia that you are wondering about is from a Gardner automobile, they were built in St. Louis, Missouri from 1919 until 1931. Several years back I did quite a bit of restoration work on a 1928 Gardner 85 for a customer in Oregon. I have enclosed several pictures of it from the beginning through the restoration process then a couple of the car before he sold it to the Nethercutt Collection in Sylmar, California and then one of it on display. Some earlier years of Gardners had an insignia like that one on the bumpers but the one I worked on did not, it did though have a slightly larger one on the hubcaps. If you would like to get in touch with some owners of Gardner automobiles please feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks for you post and the photo of the 29' Dodge. Now I know what one looks like.

The picture shown above is not a 29 Dodge Brothers bumper, if you would like to know what a 29 D.B bumper looks like just google such and you will have many photos

Looks more like a 28 Dodge with one of the bars being incorrect but possible it is the way I am looking at the photo and both bars are correct

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Oh by the way now that I look closer to your pics the bumper in the rear of the second picture is a 29/30 Dodge bumper. Is it for sale reasonably. If so my e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com thanks

G'day Jason,

The DA in the picture is a 1929 DA Australian T.J.Richards. The TJR built DA's used Victory Six bumpers front and rear. The Bud DA's used a different bumper front and rear.

You are correct regards the front bumper on the car in the picture it is made up of 2 top halves. The car is a late production Australian bodied DA. Perhaps the were using up the last parts. Will try to upload pic's showing differences.post-35180-143139126266_thumb.jpg

post-35180-143139126217_thumb.jpg

post-35180-143139126236_thumb.jpg

post-35180-143139126252_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the wrong photo. I hit the wrong one in my file. My bad 'cause I knew that was the wrong bumper on that car. Ooops.

G'day Jason,

The DA in the picture is a 1929 DA Australian T.J.Richards. The TJR built DA's used Victory Six bumpers front and rear. The Bud DA's used a different bumper front and rear.

You are correct regards the front bumper on the car in the picture it is made up of 2 top halves. The car is a late production Australian bodied DA. Perhaps the were using up the last parts. Will try to upload pic's showing differences.[ATTACH=CONFIG]149016[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]149017[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]149018[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]149019[/ATTACH]

Yes I know that late Victories used DA headlamp bars as well here in the U.S along with the H-lamps. I believe there were some other items as well

Clare30, Thanks for the good explanation and the nice bumper photos. Great looking Dodges!

I think what I have is a 26'-27' Gardner front bumper as describer by dc-8dave and a 29'-30' DA front bumper.

I think I have it right now......

Thanks for helping me sort this out everyone!!!!! What a great site!

Guest prewar40

That bumper is from a 1925, 1926 or early 1927 (made in 1926) Gardner. If you want to sell it you can list it at Gardner Motor Cars You'll also find a lot of pictures of Gardner cars.

NOT a Dodge Brothers bumper.....looks like a "G" for Griffin. And....there are two griffins on the badge. 1929 Dodge Brothers bumper looks like this.....

I loved this beautiful DA Roadster pic so much. I made it my desk top pic. Thanks for posting , John.

Rod van Pelt