Fender Welt 1953 Buick Roadmaster 2 Door Hardtop

Guest buicksarefine

Guest buicksarefine

post-80461-143139123885_thumb.jpgWe think this is the original fender welt in our 1953 Buick2 door hardtop Roadmaster – trim package number 72. It consists of what appears to be an aluminiumor steel tube which is split the entire length (8 – 9 feet). Inside this tubeis a fabric covered wire that runs the full length with 1 inch teeth coming outof the split every 3 inches. There wasfabric between the teeth. A very smallpiece has not rotted away and is photographed here.

The fabric covered teeth fit between the fender and body ofthe car. The tube does not appear tohave any paint or finish on it. Theteeth are wrapped around the fabric covered wire.

I have never seen this before. Can someone tell me anything about it? The car is nearing completion and I intend topolish the welt and put it back in the car.

Any and all help / information is appreciated.

post-80461-143139123854_thumb.jpg

post-80461-143139123895_thumb.jpg

post-80461-143139123905_thumb.jpg

post-80461-143139123913_thumb.jpg

post-80461-143139123919_thumb.jpg

I remember seeing "chrome" fender beading sold as a custom accessory by places like Western Auto and J. C. Whitney (Warshawski's if you had a real business in). It is probably something an early owner added. It was fairly easy to install. I will see if I can find an old catalog to scan.

Bernie

Just checked. Here is today's version. It could by vinyl now; easier to make:

CHROME FENDER WELT FOR TRUCKS AND CARS CHEVROLET DODGE FORD PLYMOUTH 1940'S 50'S | eBay

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I have been working on a 1949 Chrysler Town & Country recently, and am told by its owner that Chryslers of this era had bright metal or stainless fender welting, which his car indeed has. So, it could have been sourced from a Chrysler dealer (who also repaired or sold Buicks???) in the early 1950s. Like the other messages, I too, have never seen this type of welting on a Buick.

Pete Phillips

Guest buicksarefine

Thanks everyone for the help and information. Since it's an aftermarket addition it's probably best if we try to replicate the original. We are off to a swap meet this weekend to start our search.

Don and Pat