'69 electra fuel gauge repair

AD8

Need a little advice identifying and correcting faulty fuel gauge reading. Problem: Noticed about month ago (last fill-up) needle would not show "full" by pinning all the way to the right. Took the long way home and eventually it began creeping closer to proper location until a correct reading was finally achieved.

The gauge worked properly, with usage, until about an 1/8" below half full, then stalled. Continued to drive and estimated mileage. Took 20 gallons yesterday. Needle acted the same way, only this time never made it all the way to full.

Never had this problem with past Buicks of the 60's so this will be a first. Any advice or tips from the membership as to what to check or how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Mike,

How long the car has sat depends on the difinition. I live in Chicagoland so from the end of the driving season (Oct/Nov) until around mid-April, the car goes into hibernation. During summer months, drives are weeknights and weekends, weather permitting (convertible). But if sending unit can be suffer from long periods of inactivity... as suggested by Bhirdog, I'll start easiest and work up. Maybe just ground. Thanks!

Jim

BCA # 43102

I wouldn't think that a few months would make a difference. I just know that I have had similar issues with cars that sat with the same amount of fuel, thus sort of "flat spotting" the rheostat similar to tires. Absolutely start with the wiring and ground, THEN the sender, lastly the dash gauge. Good luck.

I had a similar problem with a 55 that had a brass tank float. The float had a hole in the bottom. When the residual air in the float contracted in cool weather (or cooler fuel) more gas got into the float causing it to sometime not float at all until the gas got warmed up and the expanding air forced the gas out of the float. Floats made of different materials may become saturated with gas and not 'float right'...a good time to blame ethanol again.

Willie