AACA History

On June 22 or June 23 1957 I attended an AACA meet in a town in central Ohio, possibly Wooster or Granville. It was a good sized meet for the time. I am hoping someone might remember it or have some information on it and can confirm the location and maybe have a record of the cars participating. It is also possible that it was an HCCA or VMCCA meet.<P>------------------<BR>Wally Donoghue

Wally,<BR>In response to your inquiry, I found the following information in The Antique Automobile Magazine Fall 1957 issue concerning the Granville Rally of that year. The reporter is Ruth S. Miller of the Ohio Region. She writes: <BR>"The Granville Rally has come and gone which like Christmas we all look forward to as a highlight of the year. Denison University provides perfect facilities for this event: roomy comfortable dormitories, a main dining hall where we all ate together, a field house in which to park 120 cars, a practice football field for all field events, steep hills for hill climbs and coasting contests and all of this within walking distance. Registration opened Friday afternoon with a cocktail party and buffet supper at Granville Inn in the evening."<BR>"Saturday morning we had a treasure hunt covering thirty-two miles of back country roads. The group was cleverly divided into white and red arrow tours covering the same roads but from opposite directions so we all had to retrieve the same articles meeting the whole gang coming or going. Field events began after lunch with the greatest number ever participating with cranking and starting, spearing things from running boards and all the fun things they could cook up. Of course, all these events add points toward the grand Participation Prize to be awarded at our region's annual meeting. From 5:30 to 7:30 the judges took over the Field House behind closed doors with nothing to bother them except their consciences. From 7:30 to 9:30 costumes were judged with participants in their cars. During this period friends and neighbors in the area were invited to view the cars and costumes? always a delight to outsiders."<BR>"The basketball court in the Field House was the gathering place for the evening when costume prizes were awarded with all the winner lined up across the stage for all to admire. A delicious buffet supper closed the evening's events."<BR>"Sunday after breakfast they held the coasting event followed by the car awards. These were handsome silverware with ribbons for all past winners attending who are now in a senior class, small now but will grow in time to really keen competition. By popular vote the award for the most interesting car was won by Alan Eby's beautifully restored 1911 Owen while Jack Eckels of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, drove his 1922 Packard to Granville for the longest distance prize."<BR>"It was a wonderful week end. What more can we say?"<BR>There are some excellent ideas here for reviving some of these activities at our current meets. Hope you find this of interest.<P>jnp

• 2 weeks later...

Dear John,<P>Thank you very much for your reply and the time you took to copy the AACA Magazine article. I am interested in this particular meet for both history and sentimental reasons. I will explain. In 1956 I purchased a 1931 Lincoln Dietrich Conv. Sed. while still in College in Pittsburgh. At the time I belonged to both the HCCA and CCCA. I used the car for everyday transportaion for about a year and a half and drove it to my wedding in June of 1957. After we were married my new bride and I drove away from the church in this car but did not take it on our honeymoon to Omaha, NE.<P>When returning to Pittsburgh from our honeymoon we somehow found out about the meet and stopped to see all the cars. I was astounded to see another 1931 Lincoln Dietrich Conv. Sed. at the meet just like ours except it was in mint original condition with originl paint, upholstery, chrome, etc, and with only around 27,000 miles.<P>I have known where this same car has been for many years and it just came up for sale in Hemmings. I could not resist buying it and it is now in my storage building. Although it is still in fine original condition, still with the original paint, upholstery and chrome it has suffered some deterioration over the years and is no longer pristine as it was when I saw it in 1957.<P>By chance, is there a photo of this car in the issue you have quoted from?<P>Thanks again for your reply.<P>Regards,<P>Wally Donoghue<P>------------------<BR>Wally Donoghue

• 13 years later...

Thinking of history... I am reviewing the 1957 Register of Antique Automobiles Joint Listing AACA - VMCCA - HCCA as I research the provenance of some of our cars. Keep finding a reference to the "T.P. Museum"... Does any one know what museum this was?