1973 Electra with only 7,000 miles

Guest BJM

I know this place very well. Sherman is my home town, and I was the city planning director in Bonham when this dealer first came to Bonham. He has places in Sherman, Bonham, McKinney, and Greenville, Texas. Does a lot of business, but I've also heard stories from occasional disgruntled customers trying to get service done. I don't know where he gets these low mileage cars, but I have read his weekly newspaper ads for many years, and my opinion after looking at the cars and reading the ads is that he prices everything at twice what it is worth (speaking of the low-mileage 1970s cars only). And in my opinion, this '73 Electra is priced at twice what it is worth.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Guest my3buicks

I watch the early 70's B & C' s pretty closely - it is not unheard of for these with ultra low mileage and a good color and a good option list to go for $10 - 14 K

I don't think it's way too high but I would have a hard time buying a 73 Electra 4 door for $18K or close. But I agree with Keith, we have seen some 71-73 low mileage originals OFFERED for $10K to $14K. Not sure if they sell for that, sometimes they are BCA cars.

The cowboy at the top says "Gosh that's too cheap!". Can anyone get his contact information?

Remember those boys are used to Chryslers, Jeeps, and Dodges. Just imagine one of them getting into a full sized Buick Electra with a V8 and rear wheel drive. I have always been a Star Trek fan and know one of the prime directives dictates "that there can be no interference with the internal development of alien civilizations." The price is logical. WHO LEFT THE BUICK AT THE CHYRSLER DEALER?!

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

The cowboy at the top says "Gosh that's too cheap!". Can anyone get his contact information?

Bernie you're killing me. I keep thinking that so many of our conversations on the forum center around restoration costs and how little time it would take to be "upside down" on a project vehicle and I know that a car like this - if honestly presented by this dealer - you would be way ahead for a good 20 years. Even putting 2,000 to 3,000 exercise and show miles on it a year, you would only have about 70,000 original miles on it 20 years from now.

To Keith's point, color is important and this one is a nice color for an Electra. Dark blue with matching interior.

It is a car you can take to a cruise night and have polished on the sides by the people backing up to get a good picture of the car next to it. When I was servicing collector cars in the 1990's I had a guy consoling in me that his very nice '53 pea green Olds 88 four door sedan wasn't even noticed at a cruise nite he attended with a friend who drove a maroon '56 Mercury 2 door hardtop. Its what the car salesmen call "eyes" that makes or breaks a car. And ownership is always based on budget. I have never had the 1948 Roadmaster convertible I wanted due to budget. I was 16 when I drove to Fulton to chase down the first one. It was $1500 in 1965 and wouldn't have been my every day car. I did eventually buy my '64 Riviera for around $2000 when I was 30. This "73 Electra is just wacked at $18,000. That's over 20 grand with New York State tax. Oops! There I go exaggerating. It was $17,999 wasn't it?

The '73 doesn't have much to connect to, unless you were aspiring to be a lawyer in the early '70's; maybe a accountant. Its a car you have to think about and internalize to appreciate.

Hell, my cars aren't the dramatic presence to command this cowboy's expectations. The Riviera was brown when I bought it. Its been claret mist metallic longer than it was brown now. If I hadn't sprung for the white walls on the '60 it would be kind of drab and its not a 225. My convertible is that damned silver color that makes people mistake it for a Mercedes.

Actually, if I was asked what I thought of a 1973 Electra with 7,000 miles on it I would say "Its a shame someone bought it and didn't need it."

I really enjoy cars a lot; the people, the stories, the ironic humor. I should be working now but I'm looking at a long list of cars that are available for $17,998 and under, red ones!

Bernie