Cam Sensor

Don Hudd

Hi all,

I posted about this a while back. Car is coding a cam sensor. I asked if it would hurt to drive and was told no. It has run fine but today it started stalling after driving about 7 miles. Restarts fine dive more then stall, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Don

Thanks Dave, on my way home(6miles), it stalled when I took foot off gas, put in nutrual started up, ran as long as I gave it gas
It's possible you have a dirty or defective Idle Air Controller (IAC). Here are Padgett's instructions for cleaning it if you want to try that.

Reatta Owners Journal - Cleaning the IAC (3800)

Dave's information is correct. The Crankshaft Position Sensor can give similar symptoms when it is going bad as well. Neither one will set a code. Both are much easier to troubleshoot if the engine will not run at all. If you have a fuel pressure gauge you could check the pressure to rule out a bad fuel pump.

Assuming you installed the correct ICM, it's like likely you have a bad or dirty connection where the wiring harness plugs into the new ICM. Make sure you didn't install and extra gasket where the ICM harness plugs in. The code 42 (ignition spark timing I think) is saying the ECM is not getting a signal from the ICM. It could also be a bad ECM but in your case I doubt it.

thanks ronnie. i tried to find the cam maget tutorial on your site but can't find it. also where is the cam sensor it's self? i have driven it since june with the cam sensor code but was told it was ok to do so. thanks again ronnie

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, am experiencing this exact same thing, so I am very interested, Don, on how your repairs will work. Since I am not a mechanic, my 90 Reatta is now in the shop. My mechanic has found a cracked cam sensor magnet and the wires to the sensor are worn. He will also replace the IAC, since the car is nearly 100K and dirty. We'll see if these repairs fix the problem. (I already replaced the plugs, wires and installed the Delco coil).