Coolant Recovery Tank

Guest BobOlds

Guest BobOlds

Now that The Filling Station has started to sell GM reproductions of the optional early coolant recovery tank does anyone have picture or know where these were actually mounted on the car? Seems like this tank would be a great option for the usual billet type tanks and the later but inappropriate plastic tanks.

Bob

I don't recall any GM factory option coolant recovery tanks. Just the "standard equipment" ones.

I remember the aftermarket add-on kits from the later 1960s/early 1970s, though. Need the correct radiator cap to make them work right, plus ensuring that the tank is mounted equal to or above the radiator filler neck . . . or there is enough "head" (the plumbing term) to ensure there is easy flow to the radiator filler neck from the reservoir.

I went to The Filling Station's website, looked under "new products", and did not find these reservoirs. The catalog is dowloading as we speak, though.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

What year and car do you plan to put this tank on? 71 was the first Olds factory installation as part of a HD cooling equipment package and was also available thru the parts counter as a retrofit for cars that came without them.

I've read that the repros can be adapted to fit as early as 1968 but have yet to see one installed.

Guest BobOlds

I went to The Filling Station's website, looked under "new products", and did not find these reservoirs. The catalog is dowloading as we speak, though.

NTX5467

The Filling Station part number VT-73 replaces GM part numbers 985319 and 985528 1938-1954 car (Chevrolet).

The current radiator cap (Stant replacement) has the correct operation for a recovery system.

The car is a 1950 88 and not a restoration.

I went back into their website and looked around some more. I found the 1938-54 accessory item for Chevrolet. I never knew that existed, especially back then.

Rocketraider, you confirmed the model year era I was thinking of, as OEM production or Approved Accessory equipment. By 1971, there were also many aftermarket kits out, some with better items than others. Some fit better under some hoods than others did, too.

I added one of the aftermarket kits to our '69 Chevy pickup, using the mounting holes for the windshielf washer bottle on the lh fender to mount the recovery jug. It never did work right due to the radiator cap and the level of the jug compared to the overflow tube on the radiaator filler neck. If I bled the air from the system, filled the hose to the jub, and put the radiator cap back on, it might work for a few days and then the hose would have air bubbles in it again. So I took it off and looked for a better kit, which I never found.

But in later years, some of the factory-installed items didn't do much better.

Take care,

NTX5467

I never knew such existed back then either. Back in the days of 6 to 8 pound pressure caps you wouldn't think it was even necessary- then again that low relief pressure might have influenced design of this recovery tank.

I don't think I've ever seen a Chevy from that time period with one, that I knew what it was.

Bob, this would be appropriate for your 50. Maybe FS has a diagram of how it mounted? I have a 42 Chevy shop manual I'll look in to see if it mentions it anywhere. AACA Library may also have something on it.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)