1924 Special Six vacuum pump question

Guest dburden

Guest dburden

Our '24 Special Six EL has been sitting in the garage for a few years (5-6) while I have been working on other projects. I finally got around to starting it up this week and took it out for a short drive today. It turned out to be shorter than I planned since I ran into a fuel delivery problem. I was able to get the car home by filling the vacuum pump through the inlet port on the top.

Right now the vacuum pump is sitting on my work bench and I'll install a new cork gasket. The float appears to be working fine, but when I pour fuel into the empty fuel pump, I can only get fuel to come out of the outlet by tipping it to one side a bit. Shouldn't fuel just pour out of the bottom?

I blew some air into the outlet port to see if it was plugged up and I could feel air coming out of the small screw holes that hold the cover on, which seemed odd to me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Our '24 Special Six EL has been sitting in the garage for a few years (5-6) while I have been working on other projects. I finally got around to starting it up this week and took it out for a short drive today. It turned out to be shorter than I planned since I ran into a fuel delivery problem. I was able to get the car home by filling the vacuum pump through the inlet port on the top.

Right now the vacuum pump is sitting on my work bench and I'll install a new cork gasket. The float appears to be working fine, but when I pour fuel into the empty fuel pump, I can only get fuel to come out of the outlet by tipping it to one side a bit. Shouldn't fuel just pour out of the bottom?

I blew some air into the outlet port to see if it was plugged up and I could feel air coming out of the small screw holes that hold the cover on, which seemed odd to me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

This website, <cite>hudsonterraplane.com/tech has a pdf of a manual for a Stewart Warner Vacuum tank that explains how it works. You can also Google "</cite><cite>Stewart Warner Vacuum tank" </cite><cite>and get the site and pdf file for the manual. I found this to be useful in troubleshooting this in my 1922 Studebaker.</cite>

Tom

Guest dburden
This website, <cite>hudsonterraplane.com/tech has a pdf of a manual for a Stewart Warner Vacuum tank that explains how it works. You can also Google "</cite><cite>Stewart Warner Vacuum tank" </cite><cite>and get the site and pdf file for the manual. I found this to be useful in troubleshooting this in my 1922 Studebaker.</cite>

Tom

Thanks Tom. I printed the manual out and will go through my pump tomorrow and see what the problem is.

Dave

Guest dburden

I took the pump apart again today and made another new gasket for the top since the one I made the other day didn't fit the inner lip correctly. I also checked and cleaned the various ports. Hopefully it will actually pull fuel from the tank when I check it all out tomorrow morning.

Here are some pictures:

post-82357-143139120317_thumb.jpg

post-82357-143139120311_thumb.jpg

post-82357-143139120314_thumb.jpg

Guest dburden

Success! The fuel pump is now working again. There were two problems - the flapper valve in the bottom chamber was gunked up and not sealing when vacuum was applied so it was allowing fuel to be pulled back into the central chamber. A little sandpaper fixed that problem. I also had to replace the crush washers holding the sediment bowl bracket since they were not making a good seal. The car did fine on a 20 mile trip this evening to a local cruise night and drew lots of attention. Thanks for the help!

post-82357-1431391237_thumb.jpg

Tank, flapper valve and sediment bowl.

post-82357-143139123705_thumb.jpg