3M invisible paint protection question

rick60

I'm installing 3M invisible paint protection on my daily driver. Does this product damage the paint when it is removed? The product web sites say it can be removed with out damage. I would appreciate any input from someone that has experience with this product. Thanks

I've not heard of this latest "paint protectant", BUT if it's like the very popular "wraps", then it's probably capable of being safely removed up to 3 years after installation, with no paint damage . . . so we've been told.

ONE thing I'd be concerned about, as it's "clear", is if it has any UV filter in it? If it does, when it's removed, the exposed paint will have sun-faded more than the paint which was "protected". Could be a major issue, depending upon the color. Also, a color difference which any amount of buffing will not remove!

I had a friend who bought a new '77 Z-28 just after it hit the lot. A few days later, he pulled the "scoop" decal off of the hood. Although the car was not more than 1 month old, from its assembly date, you could see where the decal used to be. It didn't have enough time under the TX sun for fading, either! But apparently the decal's adhesives penetrated the paint and rendered it 1.5 notches darker . . . it was silver metallic.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Thanks for the response. I've decided not use it. There is an adhesive on the film. I'm concerned it will damage the paint when removed a few years later. I did not consider the UV factor. That is probably a valid concern. Thanks again.

I've had considerable experience with a competing brand paint protection film. The 3M is a good quality product.

There should be no concern with lifting the paint upon removal — a hair dryer or heat gun is used to soften the adhesive and it will peel off fine. They say it is also OK for repainted surfaces, providing the prep was done properly and the paint sticks like it should.

3M and other quality paint-protection films all contain UV inhibitors (or, correctly, UV absorbers) to prevent them from premature yellowing and deterioration. So, if the unprotected paint is subject to fading, that will not occur under the film.

The clear film could act as an MAGNIFIER thus changing the paint color, MAYBE....

I would contact 3M, and gain more info. I just purchased some CARBON FIBER FILM from 3M, and what I really liked about it is that you can place in on your surface, and then remove and adjust, NOT LIKE CONTACT PAPER. I made a dash panel out of it, and found that after a couple weeks on the dash surface it comes off ONLY WITH SOFT HEAT.

I wouldn't give up until I talked with 3M, great company, PERIOD.

Dale in Indy

Guest palosfv3

This material has been used extensively by many auto manufacturers over the last decade to prevent stone chipping . There are no real negatives in regards to removal and color fadeing. The only difficulty we have experienced is when removing large areas of this film material ( dealer applied to the front 12 inches of a hood for example ) it is time consuming.