1990 Reatta Misses on hard Accel

Guest PontiacDude210

Guest PontiacDude210

I just bought my 1990 Reatta Hardtop v6, and it's been sitting for a while. About 8 years with infrequent short trips. I cleaned the air cleaner out, changed the oil and trans fluid & filters and did new exhaust cat-back. I also ran some octane 93 through it with Gumout fuel system cleaner through it because the gasoline may have been a little stale. It runs beautifully most of the time, but when I was merging onto the motorway I noticed it misses quite badly anywhere past 3/4 throttle. It doesn't throw a check engine code, and it doesn't miss otherwise. I can see this getting expensive fast without proper direction. The exhaust fumes have no funny smells and it doesn't seem to have a blown head gasket. I don't have access to a parts car, so buying tons of new parts on a trial basis isn't a good option. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Guest 89 Maui

It has been my previous experience on my other cars that when an engine misses at high rpm has been spark plug wires breaking down and causing the spark to arc to ground from a bad wire. I feel it occurs due to the alternator putting out a high output at higher rpm and the coils are putting out a higher voltage and search for a ground in a bad wire rather than the spark plug.

Woody

Guest PontiacDude210

I have now done a fluid flush, new plugs, and run fuel system cleaner. I also put a new fuel filter in the car, but apparently having it in the trunk and not hooked up does very little. The issue seems to be clearing up a little with the new plugs, I guess next step is to do fuel filter and wires?

Guest PontiacDude210

Also on a tangent, the old fuel filter seems to be hose clamped to rubber lines in the front DS of the engine compartment. I thought it was under the PS midsection, pressure clamped to steel lines? A little direction appreciated here too :)

Could you post a pic. of the filter as now installed? The fuel lines in stock form come up the rear of the engine from the filter which is generally under the foot well area of the drivers compartment. The fuel lines on the 1990 model are plastic to the fuel filter, rubber-ish from the filter and change to steel at the lower rear of the engine on the drivers side.

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)