1936 chrysler brakes

Guest joe36

Guest joe36

Hi, I have just purchased a 1936 Chrysler Airstream and Have Started to go through it. I have been working on the brakes and can't get the air out of the lines. I replaced the front cylinders. rebuilt the rear cylinders, rebuilt the master cylinder and replaced all the hoses. I have bled it no less than six times with no success.Any advice would be great!

The bench bleeding is necessary. As a brake mechanic, I would say that you need to do the brake adjustment first. You will never get a pedal if you don't adjust them correctly and then bleed them. When you bleed them, be certain to start at the farthest wheel cylinder from the master cylinder and work your way closer....right rear, left rear, right front and last of all left front. This procedure will be correct for American made cars.

Guest joe36

Thanks, I will try that. But I would think I would get some sort of pedal even spongy, but it goes right to the floor.

Thanks, I will try that. But I would think I would get some sort of pedal even spongy, but it goes right to the floor.

Nope....you won't even get a spongy feel. Don't want to insult, but only to inform...adjust the lower cams first on the brakes. Then do the uppers. Adjust them so that you cannot turn the drum by hand and then move the adjustment out until you can only feel a very slight drag on the drum by the shoes. Do each set that way and you should be ready to bleed them.

Guest joe36

Sorry for the Delay in my reply. It is no insult to me. I appreciate the advice. How would you set the lower cams without a brake shoe setting tool? I have been told to set the cams with the arrows facing each other but these do not have an arrow.

Sorry for the Delay in my reply. It is no insult to me. I appreciate the advice. How would you set the lower cams without a brake shoe setting tool? I have been told to set the cams with the arrows facing each other but these do not have an arrow.

Have a look at the Plymouth website (and others), the procedure for adjustment and links to homemade aligning tools are available. As Keiser says; absolute waste of time bleeding until you get the adjusting done

Thank you all for your great advice. I finally have success! After making all my adjustments I still had no luck, so I figured it must be the Master cylinder, even though I re-built it. Sure enough one of the ports was blocked but not with debris it was never completely bored out from the original casting. so I drilled it out and that did it. I don't know how old this unit is but it looks pretty original. How it worked trough out the years I don't know.