TC Prototype

Guest Tonecaster

Guest Tonecaster

Here is a picture of my father-n-law, Steve Comins, sitting in a prototype TC he worked on in the early 80's in California. He was an engineer for Chrysler and worked with the Maserati people to build the prototype TC. He lived in Michigan but spent about a year and a half around San Diego, I believe. He did bring home a 1940 Plymouth coupe from California when he returned. You can see a few unique features of the TC prototype in the picture with the louvers on the hood and the chrome trim at the bottom of the door and fenders. :)

post-83966-14313911517_thumb.jpg

I've never seen that picture before either Tonecaster, thanks for sharing:cool: I had heard that the first prototype was done by MetalCrafters in Fountain Valley CA, does that sound like the group Dad worked with? It also looks like the stainless wheel opening trim was one piece on this Proto and the interior I don't think is Bordeaux and it's too dark for Ginger... This is a unique TC, do you have any additional shots you can scan? TC History is always cool:)

Alan

Guest Tonecaster

Sorry, but I don't know of any other photos. My father-n-law is in a nursing home so I'll ask him the next time I see him but I'm not sure if he'll remember. I do remember him telling me that some of the Maserati people were there to do the interior work.

Russ

You can see the Daytona heritage in the prototype more than in the production cars. Looks like it has a wood steering wheel, the bumpers stop just before the end of the corner lights in front and just before the taillights in rear. Can't make out the lettering in the pinstripe on the fender just before the door but it might just be Chrysler's TC, photo might be before the agreement to use the pentatrident and Maserati name on the car. Wheels just have the pentastar in the centers rather than the pentatrident.

Edited by ghostymosty (see edit history)

Guest Jim_McNally

Actually, I think it is - you're just seeing the reflection of the white wall behind the car in the paint...

Jim

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...