Aftermarket Carbs - What's Acceptable?

My vehicle is a 55 Super 322-V8 with original Carter 4bbl.<P>Well I now know that the constraints are specific CFMs and something that my current bolt pattern will receive (or I go with an adaptor plate).<P>I don't want to hot rod my car, just want to know what sort of carbs are out there to get better engine performance/gas mileage. Any recommendations? I've heard I need at least a 600 cfm, probably somewhere btwn 725-750 cfm???<P>Thanks guys.

Your original carb is probably 500 cfm or less.<P>600 cfm is high for your engine. My '58 T-bird with it's 352 engine ran a 390 cfm 4bbl from the factory. A Carter 500 cfm replacement carb would probably be your best bet. I recently put an Edelbrock 600 cfm on my high compression '66 340-4 engine and had to spend hours fabricating various linkages.<P>The Carter carbs should use your same linkages.<P>BTW - you're from Arlington - I'm writing this from Crystal City - probably very near you.

Hey YellowLark, thanks for the input. That helps put things in perspective.<P>I'm thinking of getting the carburetor rebuilt by a local shop out in Manassas, VA but logically thought I could spend just as much, probably little more for a brand new aftermarket carb. Does Holley, Edelbrock, or Rochester make a ccompatible carb for my engine? Or is it a lost cause and I can only go with rebuilding my Carter?<P>Yes I work in N. Arlington btwn Ballston and Clarendon. I'll be bleeding brakes & cleaning whl cylinders this wknd. That's what is on my agenda...<P>Take care.

Guest John Chapman

Yellow....<P>Crystal City, eh? I just did a Potomac cruise to Old Alexandria right by CC, while spending last weekend in DC at a convention with my wife. Also, picked up a requalification on living in humidity (oxymoron?).<P>Cheers,<BR>John

Guest John Chapman

Ken,<P>For a 322 in street trim, 600-650 CFM carb would be way too much. I can't find it now, but someone posted a formula for figuring out the max CFM an engine could use. For the 300, it was just under 500 CFM.<P> smile.gif" border="0 Update Edit... check this site for a CFM calculator:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.prestage.com/carmath/calc_CarbSize.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.prestage.com/carmath/calc_CarbSize.asp</A> <P>Personally, I'm going to 'invest' in a new Carter for my Skylark, as the rebuild by a reputable, competent shop is nearly as much as the new one... and it's still a 35 year old unit... and I don't have the right one anyway...<P>Cheers,<BR>John<p>[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: John Chapman ]

Guest AnthonyHansen

I'm thinking of a new carb for my Skylark too. Mine's a '64 with 300cu 4-bbl. Unfortunately it's a Holly and the previous owner threw the linkage away. What carb are you getting? Know anyone that has original linkage for sale?<BR>Tony Hansen<BR> permanent e-mail address: corsaconvertible@yahoo.com

Ken,<BR> If your engine is stock then I would stick with the stock carb. I don't think it would be worth molesting your car when these newer carbs aren't any better.