Buick Riv dash cluster removal?

Guest exnitro

Guest exnitro

I've read all the posts about the dash going blank and how to remove the cluster, but when I get to the point of unpluging the connector I hit a wall. I can't get it out or down far enough to get my fingers in to unplug it. Is there something I'm missing? The dash went blank with only the red box saying Electrical Problem but after I pulled the trim and the four bolts it came back on, so, I'm guessing a bad connection or maybe the ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way, it's that 92 Riv again!:mad:

Thanks,

Jim

That's because you don't reach in to unplug it. The plug is in a fixed position and as you gently pull with a slight side to side motion it will come out. Then you can spray your connection [with a contact cleaner]and slide it back into place. Once you get it out you will see what I mean.

You may still need a "new" Instrument Cluster.

I've read all the posts about the dash going blank and how to remove the cluster, but when I get to the point of unpluging the connector I hit a wall. I can't get it out or down far enough to get my fingers in to unplug it. Is there something I'm missing? The dash went blank with only the red box saying Electrical Problem but after I pulled the trim and the four bolts it came back on, so, I'm guessing a bad connection or maybe the ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way, it's that 92 Riv again!:mad:

Thanks,

Jim

Don't know if this applies to 92 Riv but... No need to get your fingers behind to unplug. Once you have trim off and screws out just pull it out in a rocking motion. This will help explain:

Digital Dash Panel [iPC] Removal - '90 & '91 Models

Guest exnitro

Okay! Maybe that explains why when I pushed it back in place, the dash lit up. I put the 4 screws back in and nothing. Now I've got it all apart again except for the cluster. Tomorrow morn when it's cooler I'll try again.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!

Jim

Guest exnitro

Finally got it out. And it doesn't "just unplug". It does have a connector with a bunch of wires in it that has to be unplugged. Sprayed both ends with cleaner, let it dry and hooked it back up. Turned on the key and so far so good. Gonna wait till morn when it's cool again and finish. If it quits again, it's going to the scrap yard. Out of money and patience!!

Thanks guys

Jim

Maybe you should post your findings in the Riv forum to help someone else with the same problem.

Ronnie: the '90 - '93 Riv clusters are exactly identical to the '90 - '91 Reattas. So posting here isn't a problem. In fact, my observations are that the Riv forum is so dominated by early Riv owners that this is really the better place for any '86 - '93 Riv...

exnitro: No need to scrap the car. If reseating the cluster doesn't work, there are several here that collect good used parts and may be able to help you with a replacement at reasonable cost. It sounds like there may be a cold solder on one of the circuit boards that is intermittant. If you are handy with electronics, simply touching things up with a soldering iron might save it.

Guest exnitro

Well, got it out, after I reached in and unplugged it, sprayed both ends of the connector with cleaner, then put it back in, Finally! That was a chore! Took it for a short drive and it's still working. So far so good. Thanks for the tips,

Jim

Ronnie: the '90 - '93 Riv clusters are exactly identical to the '90 - '91 Reattas. So posting here isn't a problem. In fact, my observations are that the Riv forum is so dominated by early Riv owners that this is really the better place for any '86 - '93 Riv...

I was not recommending him post in the Riv forum because I didn't think it was appropriate for it to be here. My motivation was I thought he could help the folks on the Riv forum.

There must be a misunderstanding about the '92 IPC removal. Probably on my part. exnitro's reply to me made me think the '92 Riv required a different IPC removal procedure and is what prompted me to recommend he post to the Riv forum:

When exnitro said he was having problems removing a '92 Riv IPC, I directed him to the instructions on my website for '90-91 IPC removal and I told him "No need to get your fingers behind to unplug", which I was told by Reatta owners was the case and is part of the instructions on my website.

Then exnitro came back here and said: "Finally got it out. And it doesn't "just unplug". It does have a connector with a bunch of wires in it that has to be unplugged." Then he came back just now and said: "Well, got it out, after I reached in and unplugged it, sprayed both ends of the connector with cleaner, then put it back in, Finally! That was a chore!".

If that is the case, then either my tutorial for removing the '90-91 IPC is wrong, OR the '92 Riv IPC removal procedure is different from the '90-91 Reatta.

My website instructions for removing the '90-91 IPC says: "After you get that panel off you will see that the IPC is held in place by 4 more Torx screws. Remove those and gently grab the IPC on either end and with a slight rocking motion pull off."

exnitro's instructions say: "Finally got it out. And it doesn't "just unplug". It does have a connector with a bunch of wires in it that has to be unplugged."

Those are two conflicting statements. They can't both be right. Which one is is correct? I don't want any bad information in tutorials on my website if I can help it. I will delete this tutorial if it is misleading.

Ronnie my tutorial is correct. however if someone who had been in the dash prior may have removed the harness from its holder. This would entail doing what exnitro had to do. The correct procedure is to put the harness back in its holder then reinstall the Instrument Cluster. I may have touched upon the harness staying in the holder and how mush time it takes to do that. It is either on the 90/91 or the '88/89.

Guest exnitro

I have a Haines repair manual for Olds and Riv. It shows a pic of unplugging the connector on the Riv. It doesn't say how hard it is to do! Someone with big hands would have trouble getting a hand behind the cluster to unplug it and plug it back in.

With two long time Reatta forum members indicating my tutorial is correct, no changes to the tutorial on my website will be made. The safest bet for me is to stop commenting on posts asking questions about Riviera's that I know nothing about.

Guest steveskyhawk

There is lots of bad information available on this forum and others, posted here by people that have no experience with the cars. There are many cliches that apply here. "Don't belive everything you read" and there must be one about the value of free advice.

In any case the definitive answer to the original question is this: The removal and replacement of the IPC from a 90-91 Reatta or a 90-93 Riviera is nearly exactly the same. First remove the bezel which is either two or four screws (depending on the year car) and multiple friction fastners. Once the bezel is off there are four screws at the corners of the cluster assembly that need to be removed. With the steering wheel tilted down and the key OFF; nine times in ten the cluster will come right out by pulling it strait back with your fingertips. One time in ten they are stubborn as was the case with exnitro's car. When this is the case the majority of your fingertip pulling effort should be concetrated on the lower right corner where the connection is. Somtimes this takes a lot of careful effort but it will come. If this connection is reluctant to release the mating part of the connection will become dislodged from the inside of the dash where it is supposed to be affixed. The "plug" is supposed to reside in a slot where it is supposed to float. Proper alignment of this plug is assured during reassembly by the plug being positioned by the slot in the dash backing. If this plug is floating completely free then it needs to be returned to its fixed position in the dash cavity prior to attempting to reinstallation of the cluster. You cannot get your hand behind the dash to "plug in" the cluster.

I have removed literally hundeds of these clusters from cars in the salvage yards and I sell good tested units every day. If you need one see my eBay store. (link below) I had a first a couple weeks ago. I have found and stripped 3 or 4 '91 Reattas and have finally found a complete Reatta Convertible available for parts. It is now stripped and all the valuable parts are now available for sale.

I just wanted to add here that it sounds as if the vehicle side IPC connector in the dash has either come undone somehow, or was left loose from a previous service incident. This connector should be captive such that the IPC (and it's mating connector) should slide out and back in with minimal effort. It may be that the "catch" that holds the vehicle side connector captive has broken. In that case, I can see where the OP had some difficulty with removal.

In any case, 90-93 Riviera dash board is identical to that used in the 90-91 Reatta, so removal and installation should be the same in all cases.

KDirk

Guest exnitro

Ronnie, your intentions were good. Evidently a previous owner of my Riv had done some kind of repairs of some kind. And who that shadetree mechanic was I'll never know. Anyways, it's up and running again. Thanks guys for all the help. I'll probably be back whenever the next problem arrives.