New guy with an old Dodge

Guest pappy

Guest pappy

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and just bought a 1938 Dodge sedan. I'd like to restore it as close to original as possible. I'll have a lot of questions for you all so please be patient with me. :D

Welcome, Dodge Brother! You have come to the right place for the best information and like-thinking hobbyists. Please feel free to post photos of your car so we can see what you have. Most on here are very helpful in providing information and parts. Thanks for looking into this forum. John

Welcome aboard Pappy! I'm so glad you're going to restore your '38 Dodge as stock. Most parts should be fairly easy to obtain. That was a very well built car in it's day. Try to start with a good clean fuel tank... as that's where a lot of trouble begins. We'll be here to try and help with any questions that may arise!---Pete

Guest pappy

Thanks for the welcome Gents. I'll get some pictures posted as soon as my photographer (wife) has time to take some. The car is pretty much intact and the motor turns over freely by hand. The first order of business is to try to get it running. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? Right now it's wired through a push button under the dash. I charged the battery but couldn't get it to turn over. I'm a paint and body guy, so when it comes to wiring unless I have someone to hod my hand I'm pretty much lost. lol

Welcome to the forum, pappy. It really is good to hear that another Dodge Brothers car is to be saved as stock. If you think the first thing to do is to get the engine running it might save you a lot of trouble later on if you give it an oil change first - old oil left sitting in the pan for years degrades and is bad news for your bearings which may otherwise be o.k. Also, when you do change the oil, may I suggest you go for an oil that is suitable for old engines as the modern oils have powerful detergents in them which will loosen carbon deposits, sediments etc.

Have fun!

Ray.

Welcome Pappy!

Looks like you got yourself equal parts of good times and headaches there. Gotta sat that is one good looking front end on your beast. Well done for choosing the full original resto route - seems to be the road less travelled these days.

Don't be shy in asking questions - we all learn something along the way, (some more than others...).

Ross :)

Just been looking at those '38 shots, Ross.

$4000 seems a bit steep for a vinyl retrim but I may be out of touch with the prices. I would have done it in leather but then it really can get pricey. It's not that hard to do it yourself but is very time consuming.

Ray.

Guest hwess
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and just bought a 1938 Dodge sedan. I'd like to restore it as close to original as possible. I'll have a lot of questions for you all so please be patient with me. :D

If you wanna see a 38 come to the show at Macungie,PA this coming Sunday.

Guest pappy

Thanks everyone, It's not as rough as it looks and it's all there. The interior is all finished it just needs installed.

Guest danceswithpumps

Welcome aboard, Pappy! Gr8 looking car! A wealth of knowledge can be found here so don't be shy in asking for advice, parts, or anything. We love seeing these old DBs brought back to life. We also love pics so keep us posted on your progress.

Enjoy your DB!

Rod van Pelt

Did you get that wiring diagram, it has been posted here for the 38 model before. I can scan it if need be and post it

Guest pappy
Did you get that wiring diagram, it has been posted here for the 38 model before. I can scan it if need be and post it

I haven't gotten one yet.

Here you go, it is a two page deal so it cannot be scanned on a single swipe, I would encourage you to get a shop manual for the car, they are avail as re-prints if you wish not too purchase an original copy if an when it pops up .

This service manual will answer alot of your questions, I would also encourage you to purchase manuals literature that are within a couple of years of your car so that you can become familiar with what information interchanges bewteen models.

If its not clear enough send me an e-mail at jhason2@yahoo.com and I will send you an un-compressed version

post-48869-143139116118_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143139116121_thumb.jpg

Guest hwess

Car show is at Macungie, PA Sat. & Sun. Aug. 4&5. On Friday, Aug. 3, the regional Dodge Brothers will be touring and Sat & Sun we will be at the show. Huge flea market and 1300 cars of all makes on Sat. On Sunday cars are displayed acording to marque. No judgeing.

Guest pappy

Today I stripped more of the body to get it ready for a coat of epoxy primer. While I was waiting on the stripper to work I decided to try and get it running.

When I turn the key on I have power to the plus side of the coil, and when the starter pedal is pushed I have power through the coil to the points but no power to the plugs . I pulled the cap off and the points are opening but no spark. Should I replace the coil and points or is the problem somewhere else?

Guest pappy

I got the car running this afternoon. All it took was a coil. It seems to run fine but I'm going to send the carb and fuel pump out for rebuild.

Pappy, If you have the rotor and cap on, pull a plug and ground the base of plug. Have key ON, crank engine and check for spark at plug. If all connections are tight and clean, dry, and the points are at least gapped OK, there will be a spark at plug. If not, coil high tension winding is open in coil. Some details may come into play, like the positive arm of the points may be going to ground intermittently, battery hooked up backwards or a faulty high tension wire. Double check your cap-to rotor terminal. Some cars have a ballast resistor in series with the coil (+) and ignition switch. They can "open" circuit too. Check this out if your Dodge has one with a simple volt-ohm meter, set on low ohms scale. My '25 Dodge has no ballast resistor, I don't know if they used one in '38, but I expect they did. Some coils have this resistor built inside the coil itself.

I'm looking for a few parts

Wing window assy L & R

Front seat tracks

Floor pan, the area from the trunk to the back seat

I know there's going to be more ......lol

Edited by pappy (see edit history)