Am I Nuts? Thinking about Reatta #3

ol' yeller

Hey Guys. I've been off and on here for years. My 1st Reatta was a 90 Maroon Coupe that had 76K miles when I bought it off Ebay. Kept it for a couple of years, then sold it to restore a '69 Riviera. The Rivi proved to be too much for my wallet so after dumping an embarassing amount of money into it, I sold it to stop the bleeding. Then about 4 years ago, I bought a 90 Maui Blue Coupe with a sunroof. It had 160K miles but it gave me fits getting it to run right. I finally got it running OK and unloaded it.

I had a short abberation with a 2002 BMW but quickly discovered I wasn't a BMW guy so I sold it a few weeks ago. I now find the Reatta calling me back. First I am a Buick guy and I am pretty well aquainted with the benefits and liabilities of the Reatta. I've had some serious health issues over the last couple years so heavy car restoration is out of the picture for me. I am looking for something that is cheap to buy, looks good, gets kept in the garage only to see light occasional use. Oh yeah, its gotta have appeal to us car folks. There are a few Reattas for sale here locally with relatively low mileage (around 100K) that have some interest to me. I think I may be back in the fold again soon.

Hey Guys. I've been off and on here for years. My 1st Reatta was a 90 Maroon Coupe that had 76K miles when I bought it off Ebay. Kept it for a couple of years' date=' then sold it to restore a '69 Riviera. The Rivi proved to be too much for my wallet so after dumping an embarassing amount of money into it, I sold it to stop the bleeding. Then about 4 years ago, I bought a 90 Maui Blue Coupe with a sunroof. It had 160K miles but it gave me fits getting it to run right. I finally got it running OK and unloaded it.

I had a short abberation with a 2002 BMW but quickly discovered I wasn't a BMW guy so I sold it a few weeks ago. I now find the Reatta calling me back. First I am a Buick guy and I am pretty well aquainted with the benefits and liabilities of the Reatta. I've had some serious health issues over the last couple years so heavy car restoration is out of the picture for me. I am looking for something that is cheap to buy, looks good, gets kept in the garage only to see light occasional use. Oh yeah, its gotta have appeal to us car folks. There are a few Reattas for sale here locally with relatively low mileage (around 100K) that have some interest to me. I think I may be back in the fold again soon.[/quote']

Go for it!! For a buyer, now is the best time (I've seen in the last 4 years) to purchase a Reatta. Prices are extremely very soft for both the car and for parts. In fact, it has been mostly a buyer's market since May for most 'should be' and true collectable cars. I think many are holding on to their wallets until the outcome of November's election (and a sour economy doesn't help matters).

I live in the great Northwet (Seattle Eastside). I have a few options locally, none of which I have looked at yet. One is a 90 dark blue coupe with a sunroof (that doesn't work) and nonworking AC. It has just under 100K. Asking price is around $3K. (my opinion is that is about a grand more than it's worth. The same seller also has a white 90 coupe no sunroof with only 30K miles. No issues, perfect condition and asking $7500- $8000. A little high but in the ballpark and seller appears open to discussion on both cars. There is also a an 86K mile 90 convertible for $5200 but it needs a new top and the AC isn't working. I repaired an AC issue on a previous Reatta and it ran about $900. Why does everyone with AC problems say, "It just needs a recharge"? A new top runs about $2K ( I think) and I don't know the condition of the top seals but I understand they are no longer available. There is a very nice 90 maui blue convertible in Portland for sale with only 48K miles but it is way out of my price range at $14K. I'm kinda leaning towards the low mileage coupe even though it has no extras. I'd love a vert but the practical side says a low mileage coupe may be what suits my needs better.

If all it needs is a recharge why don't they charge it themselves and take an objection away? I have always wondered about that. No A/C? knock off $1000.00.

Looks like the one to go after is the 30k one. Maybe you can work him down. Reattas are hard to sell. Minimal following, only a two seater, you know the drill...

Btw as I type this I am sitting in my garage with a charger on my Reattas battery. Why? Just changed out a light bulb and am watching me sequential lights... [i know get a life!]

A new top with glass window and Haartz cloth with installation will run you about $1300. Worst case with the A/C is a new compressor and 134 conversion. That'll run you about $800 (out here at least).

I bought a 90 convert a while back where the ac didn't work. I ended up changing the ECM and it worked fine. I've also chanced the compressor relay and been able to get ac working.

If I were you, id go for the convertible. They're going to be going up in value much sooner, and now is the time to buy.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner

Go for the white convertible that's for sale in Seattle! I too am in the great "North-Wet" (Portland area) and certainly enjoy my vert year around. As long as it's a secondary / fun car...who needs the top or for that matter, the A/C? It's been for sale for over a year...so I'm betting you could get a sweet deal.

Go for the white convertible that's for sale in Seattle! I too am in the great "North-Wet" (Portland area) and certainly enjoy my vert year around. As long as it's a secondary / fun car...who needs the top or for that matter, the A/C? It's been for sale for over a year...so I'm betting you could get a sweet deal.

Interesting news that it has been for sale for a year. Do you know what the price has been over that timeframe? He just lowered his asking price $100 this week. I can understand why it hasn't sold somewhat as I sent an email requesting info on the windshield and ABS and never got a response. A week later the seller changes his ad to read don't email him with "stupid" questions. The original ad never said anything about no emails. Funny how on CL where they don't charge by the word sellers often don't give very good descriptions (this ad has 2 sentences and 2 pictures). That leads us buyers to wonder what they are also trying to hide. Email to me is a great timesaver. It qualifies your buyer and the seller before time is wasted on the phone. I have sold a lot of cars over my lifetime and I sold everyone of them to the first person who looked at it. I attribute this to keeping my cars in great condition and supplying very descriptive info in the ad including price and mileage. Areas of concern for particular models are also addressed in the ad.

This one does have some interest if the top weatherstrips are in good condition as well as the windshield and brakes. The "stupid" comment will cost him some bucks if I make an offer though. I may go look at it anyway. Interesting also that the top with install is only $1300. I agree that if the AC needs just a charge they should do that. Non working AC gets a $1,000 discount from market price. New top minus $1300. Is $5200 a fair price for an 87K mile vert? That makes $7500 total after repairs. I'm thinking he needs to come down some more if he doesn't want to do the work. Opinions welcomed, further bulletins as events warrant.

Edited by ol' yeller
Fat fingers on the keyboard (see edit history)

When I talked to him in the Spring of 2011, it seems that the price was around $6,500. I have not seen the car...I really wanted a Black / Tan, which I got out of Texas.

I wonder what the problem with the top is? Mine was said to need a new top because the glass seperated from the top. The Corvette forum had a great write-up which I followed with satisfactory results.

Gary

Hey ol'yeller... here is the email response I got from the seller of the white vert in Seattle last spring..... And to confirm...my recollection was correct. $6500 was the price at the time. (I edited the sellers email address slightly...just in case he is sensitive about having his email address on a forum...)

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:02 AM, <RCJSCARS@xxxxxxx.net> wrote:

The interior is maroon, the body is straight, paint is original. The

only problem with the mechanicals, is the a/c needs to be charged.

The car is all original, and very presentable.

Doesn't sound like you want to do much work so I would go with whatever works the best. A/C is expensive but is relatively easy and just like thousands of other GM cars. Tops are also easy and available. A deep red top would go nicely with a red interior on a white car.

I take it that the paint and interior is good but needing a top and A/C would say $4k is more than fair - would start at $3200 but would want to check out thoroughly first (shifts OK, TCC locks properly) Money talks, tell him up front that you have cash. Ask to have a mechanic check it out.

With new car prices topping the $30k mark for "nothing much" I doubt that Reatta prices will stay down for long and you have to ask youself "What is having one now rather than later worth to you ?" Key is to open serious negotiations and see what happens.

Also do a search on his phone number/eMail and see what else he is selling.

All great points Padgett. My thoughts are to go look and see if the car has other show stopper problems. If none are found, I thought the same as you as far as value. I was concerned that I was undervaluing it based upon my somewhat dated knowledge and the fact that it is a Vert which I know little about. The good news is that the car only has 87K on it so I am expecting to find a fairly nice car. If it has sat outside in the rain for a year with a leaky top, I'm just not interested and would probably pursue the low mileage coupe. I have the knowledge and the skill to repair my own "classic" car but my health severly limits my ability and that isn't expected to improve beyond where I am today. I can do small chores like replacing a window regulator as long as I take my time but the big stuff like top replacement is not in the cards. Also not crazy about a white car but I could be happy with it. At least it has the red interior but I was thinking a tan top would look less "Pimp" than a red one.

At this stage in my life I am not looking for an investment car which will bring me a ton of money when I sell it. What I want is something unique, looks sharp, brings a pride of ownership to me, and isn't something everyone else has. I want a car that will put a smile on my face every time I slide behind the wheel. A Vert would do that more than a coupe. It is also helpful financially to be in the know about these great little cars above and beyond the general car buying public. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and opinions so far!

Guest 89 Maui

I want Reatta #2 but my wife will not allow her Acura to sit outside of our 2 car garage and no room for a carport.

Heh,

Better two Reattae than two girlfriends. Then again, the long term cost in either scenario is probably a wash. Somehow, I don't think this argument would be a good way to frame the justification for another car to one's girlfriend or wife however.

I guess I have just demonstrated why I am much better giving advice on cars than on relationships. Thus endeth today's lesson.

KDirk