Warning: Member Fraud/Scammer

Guest KyleMiller

Guest KyleMiller

I was contacted about a thread I have posted for parts wanted here on the Forum. The Scammer sent an official looking AACA notification email. They claimed to be Jim Cooke, member name: jc81, email: jimcooke851@gmail.com. They said they were parting out a 1932 Dodge (like mine) and asked if I still needed parts. I responded and the conversation led to them asking $550 for the parts with shipping included (Low price for what I was looking for). They then asked for Western Union or Money Gram. I contacted AACA to see if there is such a user, and when they responded, the details the scammer gave did not match up. The Scammer would not send pictures of the parts, and when they did send pictures it was of a car pulled off a Google search. I told them the name of the person who actually owns the car, and I haven't heard from them again.

I just wanted to share my experience, in case someone else gets a message similar to mine.

Kyle Miller

Kyle,

Thanks for letting us know about this. Unrelated, but in the last few months I've been getting "No Subject" emails from people I know with no text in the body, just a link. They're from folks I may not have been in touch with recently, and others with more frequent contact. I don't open the emails, and contact the true parties to see if they sent them. It's always, "No, I didn't send it." I guess this is happening more and more.

Anyway, I'm glad you took the course you did and alerted us by your post. I wonder if they wanted you to send the Money Gram to a Nigerian address? ;)

TG

I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER--------Buy parts from any one untill I see a picture------you can always tell these scum bags,,,,,they are vague---------you can always tell if the person you are talking to is a car guy-----I use E Bay to sell stuff,,,,,got an E mail from sone one on an island off france,,,,,,they did have an E Bay account---but again,,,was too vague---and wanted to use Pay Pal-----------DOINT USE PAY PAL-----doint trusT BIG BROTHER eather

Guest prs519
I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER--------Buy parts from any one untill I see a picture------you can always tell these scum bags,,,,,they are vague---------you can always tell if the person you are talking to is a car guy-----I use E Bay to sell stuff,,,,,got an E mail from sone one on an island off france,,,,,,they did have an E Bay account---but again,,,was too vague---and wanted to use Pay Pal-----------DOINT USE PAY PAL-----doint trusT BIG BROTHER eather
Yes, Len, they are always easy to finger up until that time when they are not (due to being a smarter crook with better sense!) Be wary at all times within the bounds of common sense, ya think?

• 3 weeks later...

Use common sense! NEVER click on a lone link in an email! Who of your friends would ever send you just a link and no explanation? If a seller feels creepy, run away! Poor grammar can be (not always) a tell too. I ask for the VIN telling them that it matter because of mid-year changes. Anything you can do to prove they have the car or parts in hand is good. Legit sellers will have no problem while scammers will stumble.

I ask for photos with specific conditions like (show me the under dash from the right) and this often rules out legit from BS sellers. I have had "sellers" send me photos of me in my car saying it was them "just last week at a local lake" Hummm? Obviously they stole a pic off the net and as there are many of me and my Amphi, it was a big oops. I try to take advantage when I know I have a scammer on the hook. I'll waste their time for as long as I can, kinda like a cat with a mouse. It can be lots-o-fun!

Guest 37Packard
DOINT USE PAY PAL

Don't go overboard on the paranoia. I've had 30,000 Ebay transactions-most of them using Paypal-and never had any type of fraud problems whatsoever....

Guest bofusmosby

I too have been contacted a number of times since joining this site. This guy was (supposedly) from England. Very easy to spot. For the most part, scum-bags are stupid. They ALWAYS have what you need, and the price is always VERY reasonable. I also agree with the blank emails with the link. Someone hacked into my email account a while back, and this is what they sent out. I am also assuming that there were members here that received these email supposedly from me. ALWAYS delete these!