'25 Dodge clutch pedal adjustment?

Pete K.

Almost getting to the point of "first ignition" on the '25 touring. I noticed my clutch pedal has barely any free play from the toe board to where I should be able to feel the throw-out bearing beginning to move. I went directly to both the car's manuals but I can't find anywhere to the free play adjustment for the clutch pedal. I can find the internal workings and the actual pedal adjusting assembly parts breakdown, but no measurement for the darn free play at top of the pedal's travel!! How am I missing this??

Hi, Pete. I think your clutch may be different from mine but if the pedal adjustment is necessary I doubt that part would be much different. My manual says that to obtain the correct setting for the clutch pedal one must turn the setscrew (situated immediately above the shaft and between the pedals) to the right until it is necessary to spring pedal to make pedal pad touch toe board when pedal is pressed down then back off setscrew until pedal touches toe board without springing.

Back off lower setscrew (situated immediately under pedal) until pedal, when released, comes in contact with toe board then turn setscrew towards the right untill pedal clears toe board.

I have no idea if this is of help to you if your clutch is the cone type - mine is a single plate - but this is the only adjustment I can find.

Ray

Thanks for the input Ray, This '25 Dodge uses the multiple disc clutch and it sounds like the same pedal adjustment as on your car. I'm just a bit confused why there does not seem to be ANY free play when one touches the clutch pedal. This seems to go against all my common sense with past experience on early auto's and their pedal adjustment.

If you post what you have or what manual you are using maybe I can come up with something different, the headings in my D.B G.B booklet are driving mechanism, ( shows nice picture of pedals assy) operation of clutch, care of clutch, clutch spring adjustment, treatment for slipping clutch, treatment for grabbing clutch.

Thanks Jason, Yup! I've got the same info in my two manuals, the '25 Dodge Book of Information and the Mechanic's Handbook. Setting the clearance between the clutch pedal and toe board is understood here, but what does the toe board have anything to do with the actual pedal adjustment for the pedal and throw out bearing yoke- to- throw out bearing?? I can't find any reference in books for this very important adjustment. I can't believe ALL toe boards are the reference point for ALL Dodges of this era for the adjustment that I need. Body placement would also change the clutch adjustment too. This seems very ODD to me.

I agree, Pete, it is most odd. As my car has a non standard (Australian) body, the pedal adjustment would need to be arrived at differently, even if Dodge used the toe board as the datum point for standard bodied cars. If I were to hazard a guess and it would only be a guess, I would set the pedal so that I could be sure there was no pressure being applied to the throw out bearing - which I think is what you are aiming to do - untill the pedal is depressed. (I am of course crediting you with the knowledge that one does not adjust the clutch pedal to compensate for lining wear) Just the small amount of travel before the throw out bearing starts to move? Possibly in the region of 3/16 ths ? Bit of a mystery.

Ray.

Thanks Jason, Yup! I've got the same info in my two manuals, the '25 Dodge Book of Information and the Mechanic's Handbook. Setting the clearance between the clutch pedal and toe board is understood here, but what does the toe board have anything to do with the actual pedal adjustment for the pedal and throw out bearing yoke- to- throw out bearing?? I can't find any reference in books for this very important adjustment. I can't believe ALL toe boards are the reference point for ALL Dodges of this era for the adjustment that I need. Body placement would also change the clutch adjustment too. This seems very ODD to me.

I see Pete, I guess I was not clear then on part of your question.......yes Dodge used the Toe Board as a reference point to measure play in the pedal, goes into very clear and vivid detail on my own Dodge with using the toe board per the instruction manual.

I can post those instructions if you think they may help.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Its funny that you mention this because today I have been out working on one of my own projects and that has been the disaster of getting rid of all the mechanical linkages that actuate the clutch on my truck ( no room now with my engine swap unless I were to move the steering box which I dont want to get into ) I have set in place finally a cable set-up that looks like its gonna work and all I am gonna do ( coincides with Rays suggestion ) is set up the free play so just barely there wont be any pressure on it, this is really all we are after with our clutch set-ups but I guess I know next to nothing about how your multi plate set-up works so maybe you should dis-regard his and my advice.

Jason, I'd like to see what you're up to with the truck...sounds very interesting. I think the answer to my problem was right in front of me the whole time but I'm just too blind to see it. Ray also has it right, at least on the right page, it has to do with a double adjustment on the one shaft. (clutch release shaft), having a 1/16" minimum backlash on clutch shaft, then adjust pedal to floorboard! I have not run into this kind of adjustment ever before on any car. Just goes to show, we learn 'till we die. (and this is killing me)...