AACA Car Judging

Guest Rice Burner

Guest Rice Burner

Hi,

Can anyone out there tell me how I would get my car AACA Judged?

I understand that once a car is AACA Judged and accepted that the owner of that vehicle is automatically a trophy winner at any car show they attend.

Is this fact or fiction?

Thank you

R.B.

Hello and welcome.

The answer to your question is: Fiction pure and simple.

And you must be a member of the National AACA to show the vehicle/vehicles at national Meets. And all vehicles offered to be judged must be at least 25 years old or older to be shown. For regular class judging they must be as they could have come from the factory. The AACA, at national Meets, does not allow what would be considered modifieds, street rods, etc.

Your screen name "Rice Burner" sort of indicates that you are into the newer vehicles.

Guest Rice Burner
So far he has not posted what kind of vehicle he is talking about. But usually when someone talks about "Rice Burners" they are talking about those Asian made, fast "jellybean" cars that the kids street/drift race with.

Hi,

I have a 1977 Ford Thunderbird that is all original, 15K (fifteen thousasnd), verifiable miles with all original documentation including build sheet.

My father was original owner of this vehicle and it is posted in the For Sale Forums on page four,http://forums.aaca.org/f119/1977-ford-thunderbird-332387.html with numerous photos of the vehicle.

It is definitely not a "Jelly Bean" or "Asian Vehicle".

The car tied for third place in it's class (Stock Class), at the Scraton Region AACA Car Show a couple of years ago in Clarks Summit, Pa..

Thank You

R.B.

Edited by Rice Burner (see edit history)

Guest billybird

when you join AACA you will begin to recieve the bi-monthly magazine. With this magazine will be a sheet with a card telling where and when upcomming National Meets are. Check off the ones you are intersted in and mail back to National Headquarters and they will send the proper materials for you to register your car. This can also be done online but I still do it the old fashioned way. As far as the "automatic trophy" thing, that's pure fiction.

Hi,

Can anyone out there tell me how I would get my car AACA Judged?

I understand that once a car is AACA Judged and accepted that the owner of that vehicle is automatically a trophy winner at any car show they attend.

Is this fact or fiction?

Thank you

R.B.

You may find at some local AACA club shows that they have an honorary class for "Senior" AACA cars. This is usually done so cars that have been awarded a National Senior Award are now in a separate class from the general public. This is done to eliminate people complaining about being judged against a car at that level. It also encourages those cars to continue to participate and support the local AACA clubs.

RB,

I think if you are interested in AACA judging of your car, you should join rather quickly and get in registered in Hershey the first week of October. Of course, I think the rules are you cannot have a For Sale sign in or on the car for judging. You need to have the car pre-registered by mid-August. Check the AACA home page for the exact dates, and call them ASAP.

I think the next opportunity is quite some distance, and next Spring is Gettysburg.

Oh, by the way, you used the term "Rice Burner" first, so naturally, this suggests an Asian made and marque vehicle. And if they are 25 years old, just as European cars, they can be judged by AACA.

John

..........................Oh, by the way, you used the term "Rice Burner" first, so naturally, this suggests an Asian made and marque vehicle...................

John

John, and others, "Riceburner" is his handle. He never suggested that he had a foreign car.

i guess that is why I do not use a "handle". But using the term as a handle surely suggests to most of us he is a fan of Asian imports. If there is some other reference, I apologize, but I am not aware of any other reference of the term, since a drove my first Datsun.

John

.............using the term as a handle surely suggests to most of us he is a fan of Asian imports..........

John

That may be true John, but my handle (CB term for my old days), R W Burgess, does not mean that this website is mine....

Yacht Charters | Yacht Brokerage | Luxury Yachts | Burgess Yachts :cool:

(Big party this weekend, everyone is invited!)

Just didn't want anyone to jump to conclusions.:D

Guest Kingoftheroad

(Big party this weekend, everyone is invited!)

Just didn't want anyone to jump to conclusions.:D

LOL.....

It wasn't a far leap to wonder if the person that started the thread might be interested in the more modern Asian cars with the screen name he used. And we all know that we get new folks here that have vehicles which are not at all in line with the mission of the AACA. He didn't state from the start what kind of vehicle he had that he might be interested in showing at an AACA Meet.

And it is correct that vehicles that have been registered and are on the show field are not permitted to have For Sale signs on them. Vehicles that are for sale have to be in the Car Corral area.

I am sitting here with my jaw on the keyboard.

That car is a near twin to one I owned from 1979-82, right down to the gauge package with engine turned dash and no cruise control. Mine had a maroon leather interior, otherwise identical. Nice car.

That 77 'Bird is one of the few cars I've ever owned that I wish I had back. Had I known as much about Ford emissions controls then as I do now, I'd probably still have it. I could not tune a spark knock out of it, and as a noise like that will send me up a wall, the car had to go.

One thing that stands out about the one I had was it's propensity to lose those Polycast wheel centercaps. The local Ford store ordered enough of them for me that they started keeping a couple in stock.

Yeah, I know. Here's my chance to have another one, but right now the emphasis is on acquiring a late-60s Thunderbird.

Hi,

It is definitely not a "Jelly Bean" or "Asian Vehicle".

R.B.

MOST DEFINITELY NOT! :cool:

Guest Rice Burner

Oh, by the way, you used the term "Rice Burner" first, so naturally, this suggests an Asian made and marque vehicle. And if they are 25 years old, just as European cars, they can be judged by AACA.

Just to set the record straight, my daily driver is a 2002 Toyota Tundra and my wife owns a 2006 Subaru Outback Wagon (hence the term Rice Burner was born). Both are excellent daily drivers, but the 1977 Ford Thunderbird is the real pristine beauty. It even still smells new.

Thanks

R.B.

RB thanks for your interest in the AACA. There are several awards that your beautiful Tbird is apparently qualified. Junior Awards( first place) are awarded to any car in class that receives 365 points,or more, out of 400, AND is within 10 points of the highest score in that class. If your car is awarded a First Junior then it moves up in status to a Senior award attempt at 375 pts and then to Grand National at 385 etc. So the competition gets tougher as the awards progress. This is a very quick answer to your lead question. Really though, consider joining The AACA and also a local chapter. You'll be glad you did. BTW, there is another award that your car appears to be a shoo in for, ie., Historical Preservation Of Original Features( HPOF). This is a prestegious award given to vehicles that are original or as close to never touched by restoration. For example deductions would be taken for any upgrades restoration or anything that was not as delivered by the dealer from the factory( as authorized). Example a new shiney paint job is a deduction. By joining up, you have the standards at you finger tips, and an army of well informed members willing to share their knowledge. Ron Sotardi Tucson

..... Junior Awards( first place) are awarded to any car in class that receives 365 points,or more, out of 400, AND is within 10 points of the highest score in that class. .....

The part in red is crucial. The highest point vehicle sets the bar for all that follow. If it happens to be a 400 point vehicle then only the vehicles that score a 390 or better will also be First Junior winners.

Guest Rice Burner

Going to a local car show (weather permitting), and I see they have a AACA Class in the judging, Classes « that states that cars in this class MUST preregister and be present for trophys. Seems like this AACA Class Registered Participants are automatic winners of a trophy as I have stated in my previous post.

I also have a article from a local newspaper that is covering this car show which makes reference to my AACA Judging Question that I have in the highlighted area. post-86856-143139112993_thumb.jpg

R.B.

Here's the link to the article if you can't read teh uploaded version. http://www.abingtonsuburban.com/news/in-memory-of-jay-1.1348302

Going to a local car show (weather permitting), and I see they have a AACA Class in the judging, Classes « that states that cars in this class MUST preregister and be present for trophys. Seems like this AACA Class Registered Participants are automatic winners of a trophy as I have stated in my previous post.

Burner, I think there is some confusion here. You posted above that this is a local show you are speaking of. AACA National has no control over the judging standards of local shows, so naturally, they vary widely from one show to the next. The next AACA National "MEET" is not until Sept. 13-15 at the Central Fall Meet in Canyon, TX.
I also have a article from a local newspaper that is covering this car show which makes reference to my AACA Judging Question that I have in the highlighted area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]147771[/ATTACH]

In reading this article, I see that the Pennsylvania Association of Classic Cars is the club associated with the free awards/trophies. With AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America-different club) National Meets, you must go through the procedures as Shoprat and others have spoken of.

Hope this helps!

Wayne

Guest Rice Burner

RW,

I guess I might be reading something different, or interpreting the article different than you.

I went to one local AACA Regional show and a AACA Member(Judge at show), told me that once I had my car judged by the AACA that I would automatically be awarded a trophy at any show I attended. This was at The Scranton Regional AACA Car Show not a local "generic" car show.

Would it be possible to post a link to the rules as mentioned in a previous post?

Thanks for your comments but this seems to be more of a pain in the neck than its worth.

I would rather enjoy the show than go through what appears to be a very complex set of rules.

The only thing I do understand is that you can't have a For Sale Sign in the car when it is being AACA Judged which I already knew when I went to the Scranton Regioal AACA Car Show.

Thanks Again

R.B.

Rice Burner,

That show is not an AACA National Meet. It is a local show and local shows have about as many different judging methods as there are shows. They sometimes even change from year to year for the same club. Some local clubs put AACA National winning cars in a separate class in their local shows and award them a trophy based on the belief that if they have either a First Junior or a Senior from AACA that they "automatically" deserve a trophy. A quote from a local car show organizer in a paper does not constitute the rules for a show. He could have been misquoted, or he could be summarizing that any AACA winning car would do fine in their local show.

Our local AACA Chapter uses a relaxed version of AACA Judging for our local chapter shows. If a car has a First Junior award and is anywhere near the condition that it was in when it won the First Junior it can easily be assured of winning a first place trophy in our local chapter show.

Here is the link where you can download the Judging Guidelines for AACA National Meets.

Judges Info

Whether you register your car or not, I would encourage you to take the opportunity to attend a national meet and attend the judging school. You will easily learn how the system works. There is no substitute for experience.

Edited by MCHinson
typo (see edit history)

I've known a few local shows to have a class for "all National winners". I think this is what RB has run up on. Now, whether each car in such a class automatically gets an award is up to the individual show hosts. The ones I've seen do it here offer a small certificate or award, generally along lines of "thank you for sharing your National award-winning car with our show guests".

I totally flummoxed the folks at a show in Stuart VA in 1997- the Toronado was fresh off its back-to-back Olds Club of America Nationals first place awards, and they were thinking cars that had won AACA national awards. They didn't know quite what to do with it, but a guy with a AACA Senior 72 Monte Carlo was obviously squeamish about having that big turquoise Toronado next to his car. I finally solved their dilemma by saying my car would be display only.

I stirred things up again the next year when I took the Hurst/Olds to that show. A Brickyard 400 Monte Carlo Pace Car's owner had talked them into setting up a special Pace Car class for it. I'm sure he never in his wildest dreams expected another Pace Car of any description to show up, and here I come with the car and all it's 1974 Indy 500 Festival provenance. Seeing the trepidation on his face, once again I said I would show as display only.

I haven't been back to that show. Seems I tended to upset people...

RB

We welcome you to show your Thunderbird in an AACA National Meet. There are only 6 or 7 National Meets a year, located throughout the country. These are the only shows you can receive an AACA award at. The next one in Pa is at Hershey on October 13. There was one earlier in Reading, PA in May. The Scranton Regional AACA Show was not a National Meet, so the local region or regions hosting the show can set their on rules. I'm assuming you are not a member of AACA National, because if you are, you receive notice of all the national meets in the "Antique Automobile" along with an information request card for each meet.

The rules for showing your car are not complex or a "pain in the neck". You must:

1. Be a member of AACA National

2. Determine if you want your car class judged or evaluated in the "Unrestored" HPOF class or Driver class.

3. Preregister your car for the show.

4. Drive the car onto the show field, before the cut off time (usually 11:00 am)

5. Have a fire extinguisher visible with the car.

6. The rest is up to your car.

You can do the first three steps on-line. Click on the AACA HOME button at the top of this screen. There you can join National (being a member of the Forum is not National Membership), find a local AACA region to join if you wish, see a list of the upcoming AACA National Meets for the next 2-3 years and register your car for a National Meet. To register you car for an AACA National Meet, you need your National Membership Number and PIN. These are printed on the mailer cover of the National Magizine "Antique Automobile". Cut off for registration is generally about 30 days before the event. Registration should be open for Hershey now.

Here's the link to the judging manual, which describes the classes and judging forms an much other information needed by the judges.

Judges Guidelines

Guest drnittler
The part in red is crucial. The highest point vehicle sets the bar for all that follow. If it happens to be a 400 point vehicle then only the vehicles that score a 390 or better will also be First Junior winners.

Ok Then what happens to the car within 11 points? Do they get bumped to second? Then, do that bump another person to the third, which could bump a third out of the running? Thanks.

Ok Then what happens to the car within 11 points? Do they get bumped to second? Then, do that bump another person to the third, which could bump a third out of the running? Thanks.

Yes, the vehicle that is eleven points (or more but has a score of 330 or better) out from the top point car would be the first Second Junior winner. Any vehicles within ten points of it (and have at least 330 points) would also be Second Junior winners.

The vehicle that scores 11 points lower that the first Second Junior (and gets a score of 295 or better) would be the first Third Junior winner. Any vehicles that are within ten points of the first Third Junior (and are also above 295 points) are also Third Junior winners.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Guest Rice Burner

2. Determine if you want your car class judged or evaluated in the "Unrestored" HPOF class or Driver class.

Hi Polara,

To get my car judged HPOF Or Driver Class this would have to be at a National AACA show (Hershey or Reading nearest for me)? It can't be judged at the Scranton AACA Regional Show under this class. In short, if you want your car judged under a AACA Clasification, it has to be at a National AACA Show.

Thanks for all the info. and the link ,but at this point, I think I will be just as happy attending the numerous local shows in my area and the Scranton Regional AACA Show. My award or throphy comes from the numerous compliments on my car I recieve from the people and the other participants attending these shows. These compliments make showing my car at the shows all worth while and they are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again

John (Rice Burner) :)

So in theory a thrid place person could be above the 295 minimum and still get bumped? Thanks

Yes. It can happen.

There are those that feel that the points required should be tightened up and no point spread. That if someone made the minimum needed they would be X,Y or Z winner.

Guest billybird

Worst case scenario: Car#1 scores 400. Car#2 scores 389. Car#3 scores 378, Car#4 scores 367. First, second, third, nothing but a sunbun. In that order.

Just to clarify Post #31, Hershey is every fall. This past Spring was Reading, last Spring - Stowe, Vermont and next Spring at Gettysburg, I believe. But you are not restricted by close to home except hpw far you want to drive or tow and stay over-night. I would encourage you to just visit one full AACA National judged show to get a sense of the cars on display.

John

Rice Burner,

You have to do whatever you feel comfortable with. I would still urge you to consider attending an AACA National Meet. Hershey is the biggest. You really have to see Hershey to believe it! I will only say that comparing most local chapter or region shows to a national meet is probably like comparing a local little league baseball game to the final game of the World Series.

Hi Polara,

To get my car judged HPOF Or Driver Class this would have to be at a National AACA show (Hershey or Reading nearest for me)? It can't be judged at the Scranton AACA Regional Show under this class. In short, if you want your car judged under a AACA Clasification, it has to be at a National AACA Show.

Thanks for all the info. and the link ,but at this point, I think I will be just as happy attending the numerous local shows in my area and the Scranton Regional AACA Show. My award or throphy comes from the numerous compliments on my car I recieve from the people and the other participants attending these shows. These compliments make showing my car at the shows all worth while and they are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again

John (Rice Burner) :)

John, you're right. To receive the National HPOF or DPC award along with the grill badge to mount on the car it must be a National AACA Meet. Local and Regional AACA shows may have a HPOF and DPC class, but they can not award the NATIONAL HPOF or DPC award. It's really worth the time to attend a National Meet. You will see cars you will not see any where else. I agree with you, my throphy is my car and sharing it with others along with the people I meet at the shows. If there are no modifications to your car, I would suggest you show it as HPOF.

And just to add, if you are thinking that getting a First Junior award at a national AACA Meet will guarantee you a first place trophy at local shows that is not a given in every situation. The story you posted might be the policy of just that club.

I have a close friend here in the AACA that got a First Junior on his car. It was entered in the racecar class, at a small Meet and was the only vehicle in the class due to bad weather. He knows and admits that the car would have never gotten the award if it had been at a larger show with great weather. He migth not have made the cut at all. The car has issues to where if he wanted to go futher with the regular class judging he would have had to restore the car to do that. He did not want to restore the car, he wanted to drive it and enjoy it just as it was. He would let others drive the car. He knew he wouldn't do that if he restored it.

Just like him, you need to do with your car what you want to.

Guest Rice Burner
If there are no modifications to your car, I would suggest you show it as HPOF.

HI Dave,

If I were to show the car at a National AACA Show it would defiinitely be in the HPOF or DPC Class.

This 1977 Ford Thunderbird is all factory original except for the tires(original tires just recently changed), battery, and trunk carpeting, otherwise it is totaly the way it was ordered from the Ford Factory. It has no "Issues" what so ever.

I have seen some cars at shows that the owners say are totaly all original that don't even come close to this designation, especially when it comes to original mileage (odometer went around the world at least one time), original paint has more overspray on the body than you could imagine,and when looking down the sides of the vehicle, the body work waves at you, etc.. Yeah,the words "All Original" have a lot of different meanings to a lot of different car owners.

I believe my T-Bird might be sold so I am not sure how much I want to pursue this National Judging. It maybe better to leave it up to the new owner.

Thanks

John (Rice Burner)