Starter/generator Buick 1921 Delco 184 brushes

Guest Rog2

Hi folks,

I'm in England, first time I've posted a new thread.

I have been getting great help from people in this forum, notably Mark Shaw and John Beatty.

Because of these guys I'm getting essential parts for the Delco 184 starter/generator on the Model 45

I am restoring with a friend.

I still need brushes and springs for the Delco. Thanks to John, here are the part numbers:

The 3 generator brushes are:

D29524 for 3rd generator brush

D24481 for lower generator brush

D26117 for upper generator brush

The starting brushes are:

D22749 for lower starter brush

D26267 for upper starter brush

If anyone can help with information as to where I might find these I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Rog2:

Try calling "Jim" at Special Interest Autos in Rockwall, Texas (Dallas area). He specializes in early electrical parts and I believe he has the brushes you are looking for. His number is 972-722-4079.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the follow up. Yes, I have located a full set of brushes from Jim at Special Interest Auto's. Thank you for suggesting him.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, an update on the Delco 184 starter/generator situation.

Mark Shaw shipped over the parts needed and we have just started to make one good unit from all the parts we now have.

Although the unit that Mark stripped down for us had a different part number, the armature and other parts all seem compatible.

Now, just to make sure we get all the washers/spacers/ etc. in the right places in the right order, does anyone know where we can get an illustrated parts list for the Delco 184, or even better, a maintenance/assembly book?

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...
Hi folks, an update on the Delco 184 starter/generator situation.

Mark Shaw shipped over the parts needed and we have just started to make one good unit from all the parts we now have.

Although the unit that Mark stripped down for us had a different part number, the armature and other parts all seem compatible.

Now, just to make sure we get all the washers/spacers/ etc. in the right places in the right order, does anyone know where we can get an illustrated parts list for the Delco 184, or even better, a maintenance/assembly book?

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Well. it's been a while since my last post, but I'm glad to report that we started the Buick using the starter pedal last week. We sent the starter/generator parts bought from Mark Shaw plus the casing we already had away for rebuilding. It took a long time to get the work done because the company agreed to do the work as and when they had some spare time to keep the cost down. Everything works properly now. Thank you to Mark and everyone else who so kindly gave invaluable advice to us. One more thing, the water pump gland is leaking. can anyone tell us what size of gland packing to use? We are sure it will be graphite impregnated packing, but what diameter? Round or square section? How many rings to make? Should we also grease the pump shaft? As always, thanks in advance.

Rog2,

When you back out the gland follower you should be able to measure the annular space between the shaft and the ID of the packing gland to determine packing size. Yes, use a little grease on the shaft prior to re-packing with square packing and make sure there is no pitting corrosion on the shaft.

Glad to see the parts worked OK.

Thanks Mark, will do as you suggest ASAP. It won't be for a week or two as Ian, the owner of the Buick is flying out to San Marino to work for Bonhams relocating an entire motor museum to Holland. Heavy duty logistics!

Ask your plumber shop,they have the same graphite material used on old water pumps.If you will find a smaller dimension you can turn it around the axle 2-3-4 times.It will be putted together when you skrew the nut on the pump.

Leif in Sweden.