Which one is the Overland? Is one an Overland?

Guest Mik3e

Guest Mik3e

In 1922 my mother's family moved from Durango to Pomona. They drove an Overland that 'sounded like a truck'. My mother was 12 at the time and described the trip to her sister in 1980. 15 mph on dirt roads most the way, camping, no services, 2 weeks in Holbrook waiting for a repair part. Both the attached photo's are perported to be the Overland, but that can't be. Which one is? Is one? Thanks.

post-87038-1431391081_thumb.jpg

post-87038-14313910811_thumb.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank

You're right, they are not the same car. The car on the right appears to be an Overland, judging by the shape of the radiator and the badge on same.

Guest Mik3e

Based on the radiator comment I'd call this another picture of the Overland. It's parked next to my Great-Grandfather Nahum's blacksmith shop in Durango, circa 1920.

post-87038-143139108907_thumb.jpg

Guest Mik3e

I have an earlier picture of that shop with the sign: NW Hammond, Blacksmith and Wagon Shop. There are horses and buggies in the picture but no cars or trucks. NW (Nahum) is GN's (Gilbert's) father. Gilbert wanted to become an auto mechanic but in those hard times blacksmithing was the available work, and not enough of that.