3800 series V6 Engine

I have a 2000 Buick Regal GS with the 3800 series supercharged V6 engine. The owners manual says that the car requires 91 octane or higher gasoline. With the price of gasoline continuing to rise, will I damage the engine if I use regular or mid-grade unleaded fuel as opposed to premium fuel? Any comments would be appreciated.

Keep using 91+<P>You WILL damage the engine by running lower octane. I actuly get better Miles per $ running 94 Octane...<P>-Rob<P>1995 Buick Riviera<BR>1966 Buick Special

well rob i wouldent think so but yoyr engine will not Be happy it will ping a little i do belive and also but if you do it once it shouldent get hurt. try it and see what happens

Don't run it on anything less then premium 93 or 91. Your check engine light will come on, because your emission control devices aren't tuned to run on reg. gas and neither is the engine. Don't mix gases, i.e. 87 and 93. Use either a pump rated at 91 or better. smile.gif" border="0

I don't think your engine will run as good on lower octane gas, but it will run. I don't think you will hurt anything running 89. The computer will adjust the timing to compensate.

• 1 month later...

Use the premium, detonation kills supercharged motors. <P>If you use lower octane your car will retard the timing and you will lose power, and possibly mileage too. When you actually do the math, the difference between regular and premium is not that much. It is far less than a rebuild on your motor and blower.<P>Take Care,<BR>Dave<BR>2000 Regal GS(Supercharged)<BR>67 Electra 22 Covertible

own a 99 regal GS have been using 87/89 octane and it seems to perfom fine... still getting over 6 on the boost gauge, and getting almost 30mpg on the highway/light city.... the engine may not perform to the extreme allowed by the 91 but the computer will retard the timing and not hurt a thing. I seriously doubt you will notice a difference<BR> smile.gif" border="0

If you don't use premium the engine will not give maximum performance. <BR>Boost with a 3.8 pulley should be at 7 1/2.<P>'00 Black/Grey GS