Hupmobile repair manuals

X-Frame

Does anyone know for a fact that there were no shop repair manuals published for the 1930's Hupmobiles? I have seen other small leaflet type items but how about actual shop manuals for mechanics? And if none, why?

Seeking something in them from 1932-1938 era. Thanks!

Does anyone know for a fact that there were no shop repair manuals published for the 1930's Hupmobiles? I have seen other small leaflet type items but how about actual shop manuals for mechanics? And if none, why?

Seeking something in them from 1932-1938 era. Thanks!

They did make maintenance manuals that dealers & distributors used. The following scan is the cover of 1 from the Model R Hupp 1917-1925 This manual lists all the changes that were made as updates from series to series, year to year. This manual told what the problem was and how to fix it. There are not a lot of them around as it was a dealer itum. They also producted a Hupmobile Reference Book . See scan

post-60296-143139103646_thumb.jpg

post-60296-143139103662_thumb.jpg

post-60296-143139103686_thumb.jpg

post-60296-143139103716_thumb.jpg

This is out of the Hupmobile 1933 Model F-322 Reference book. Pic but Unfortunately, no dimensions.

Looks good to me, thanks for posting! I believe there was only 2 or 3 different chassis between 1932-1938 anyway. This will cover one of them. Any others out there?

Also, bringing this question back up.

A 1957 copy of Ward's Automotive Yearbook has an extensive article about unitized bodies versus body-frame designs. One part mentions that in 1928, Theodore Ulrich, Earl MacPherson, and Forest Baster came up with a temporary solution to fix torque issues by creating a double wishbone design brace that apparently ran under the engine-trans area rather than redesigning the chassis frame with an X-brace which shows up in the 1932 models.

Problem is that I have seen a bare 1929 Hupp chassis and don't recognize anything they are speaking about? Was it a 1928 feature only?<O:P></O:P>

Can you enlighten me about this and if possible, supply a photograph or drawing of this double wishbone adaptation? <O:P></O:P>

post-61547-143139112296_thumb.jpg

I looked under my 1928 and 1929 series A Hupps and both have what may or may not be what is described in your 1957 yearbook. I would describe the braces as two diagonal braces coming from the frame on each side and attaching to the bell housing. John

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]147683[/ATTACH]

I looked under my 1928 and 1929 series A Hupps and both have what may or may not be what is described in your 1957 yearbook. I would describe the braces as two diagonal braces coming from the frame on each side and attaching to the bell housing. John

Picture is a bit dark and I am at a loss as to what exactly I am looking at in orientation. Any drawings or charts that may also show this or can you help describe better? Thanks!

This one I was referring to doesn't seem to have that...

post-68778-14313912707_thumb.jpg

post-68778-143139127066_thumb.jpg

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

OK... redid your picture and not sure if what I am seeing is basically the "motor mounts" coming off the side rail attaching to the bell housing or if this is something seen sideways and what i am noticing is the drive shaft minus a transmission that sits above these pincers?

post-68778-143139127125_thumb.jpg

Also thinking I may be seeing or expecting something like this 1932 Ford Model B frame with its supports - but the Hupp being reversed angled?

post-68778-143139127127_thumb.jpg

post-68778-14313912711_thumb.jpg

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

[TABLE=width: 500]

<TBODY>[TR]

[TD]Is this the double triangle you are looking for? Hupp calls it a chassis torsional stabilizr See pic

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

</TBODY>[/TABLE]

Picture is a bit dark and I am at a loss as to what exactly I am looking at in orientation. Any drawings or charts that may also show this or can you help describe better? Thanks!

This one I was referring to doesn't seem to have that...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]149113[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]149114[/ATTACH]

post-60296-143139127115_thumb.jpg

[TABLE=width: 500]

<TBODY>[TR]

[TD]Is this the double triangle you are looking for? Hupp calls it a chassis torsional stabilizr See pic

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

</TBODY>[/TABLE]

May be but it sure doesn't seem like a substitute for a X brace member :) It it for 1928-29?

May be but it sure doesn't seem like a substitute for a X brace member :) It it for 1928-29?
No, It was introducted in 1932 on the cycle fender cars and carried over on the 1934-37 aerodynamic cars. I an not sure if it was on the 1938-39 E& H aerodynamic's. It was designed to stablize the body and front fenders to the frame.

John, after printing your picture I can see it is just the mounts coming from the side rails. I am still at a loss about the braces running under the front floor and transmision to the cowl/fire wall and beyond?

Re: Hupmobile repair manuals<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->OK... redid your picture and not sure if what I am seeing is basically the "motor mounts" coming off the side rail attaching to the bell housing or if this is something seen sideways and what i am noticing is the drive shaft minus a transmission that sits above these pincers?

Hi X-Frame

Thank you for cleaning up my photo and brightening it. The part that I took the picure of is like half an "X" , one on each side of the car. It is the "motor mount" and is attached to the bell housing which in effect does make a sort of "X" brace of sorts that extends across the car when the bell housing is included with these brackets as a unit. I realize this is a stretch to call it an X brace. It could be an idea to look at a 26 or 27 Hupmobile frame to see how it compares to 28 and 29. Maybe you have done this already. John