1954 Skylark "Barn Find"

Guest jt54skylark

Guest Rob McDonald

I'm enjoying this tale, although I too am disappointed by the tone of those criticizing JT's motivation. Since when is making a buck on a car a bad thing? Wouldn't we all love to? No matter though, I don't think it's going to actually happen here. I have the inkling that our new friend is pulling our Buick legs. Think about it: wouldn't it be fun to take a bunch of photos of a really nice old car - heck, just download some from the 'net - then make up a juicy story about a dead collector and his ancient widow. Dangle it in front of a ready-made audience of rabid enthusiasts, throw in a few tantalizing oil change stickers, and you've got giggles for days. Hey, stranger things have happened, sometimes right here on this Forum.

OK JT: First, I hope you got it for a dollar. This reminds me of that 58 Limited convert a few months ago. The seller got it out of a long hibernation, cleaned it up and got 62K on the ebay. Perhaps you can do as well! It is too bad though that Mr. Earl can't get it because he really knows, loves and appreciates those 54's.

I've had my share of deals that I purchased from the principals over the years. Sometimes it feels like a car seems unmolested when a very long term seller has it for sale but in reality it is what it is. One of the biggest factors in collector car auctions IS the fact that it is what it is and the price is the price. You want it? Step up. If you don't want it for your price, let it go. Why would this or any other car be different?

It's certainly a fun car that I believe needs to get a mechanical shave and a haircut and then bombed around. Mitch

My guess is it will eventually sell for around 50K. The red engine suggests to me that other things about the car may not be original. Extremely expensive cars to restore. Think 20-30k in show quality chrome for starters. If it were mine I'd make it mechanically reliable and play with it. We did a 54. $1000 each to plate the taillights.

Who cares!

Seriously man...I'm glad he shared it regardless of his intentions. Can't we just enjoy the pictures... And hey here is a novel idea maybe we help him out and they keep it and the Buick Club and AACA attract a new members because the helpers amoung us we're NICE to him. OMG!

I couldn't agree more.

Ben

The '54 Skylark is quite possibility my ultimate dream Buick. What a spectacular find!

Here's a question for the '54 experts: Would the engine in a '54 Skylark have been painted red at the factory? If not, this suggests a rebuild or engine transplant along the way.

That was the question that came to my mind. 'Why would a 26,000 mile car have an engine repaint?'

JT, be VERY VERY careful when cranking this car up. 322's are really bad for sticking valves causing bent push rods when they have been stored for a long time. And even after they have been ran, they still can stick due to the old carbon/oil deposits gettig sticky. (See the testimonial picture in my signature) Considering your experience with other cars, I am sure you know some techniques to do to prevent this though. Just saying, be careful.

put some Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase and fuel.

I was enjoying this thread until someone jumped in and " dumped " and looks to have scared away a newcomer - very unlike this Forum which is really a favourite of mine because of how accomodating we all are to eveyones views.

JT - we would appreciate more updates on this car, let us know what you discover - build sheets would be great and we always appreciate more photos. Good luck with the car, regardless of what you eventually decide to do with it.

A great car, a great find, and it really should be bought and kept "as is", with only minor work to run down the road.

The red paint on the engine looks like someone was just trying to dye a brunette to a redhead, it appears to be only on top, and half-hearted.

The original post was fine, until he stated the car will possibly be for sale and wrong hands comment.

Either post it as a barn find you're proud of, and a good story, or post it for sale and put asking price. To me, the problem is "fishing". I found this great car, and don't know how much to ask, so I'm going to post it on this website and see if anyone comes drooling to my door.

I agree that 50K is about right for the car, to get on the road and keep as is, as an original car, that's why I asked about originality of the interior...if it's original, it should be kept...

If you look at current values of these cars, and restoration cost, then anyone who buys it to restore shouldn't pay more than 30K. Just the facts, m'am......

I think these forums are a bit "gun shy" of new members or those with few if any posts who suddenly discover a car that "might be for sale". I sometimes feel that I'm being played for a fool by someone who is just employing a sly (at least to them) attempt to market a car. I have the same feelings about those who imply that "you old guys better buy this car now or I'll sell it to a street rodder". In any case, nice car and I hope you did buy it for a good price and can sell it at a profit to someone who appreciates it.

Yes, well said.

I like the stories of finding cars (if we could ever quit using the term "barn find" when the car's been in a garage for a few years), but really think some of these posts are just a fishing expedition, thinking someone's going to beat their door down to buy a car posted, and scared to post a price because someone might actually pay it, then they'll think they could have gotten more.

Being roundabout and indirect is NOT the best way to sell a car. Post pictures, state price, and move forward. State a higher price than you'd take, if you wish, to protect yourself. Someone can always offer, you can always say no.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jt54skylark

Glad to see the car does have some true followers. We decided to not keep up with anymore pictures or updates on this forum due to the animosity. We were just trying to share the journey with some other enthusiasts, and yes the car will be sold, we dont have the funds to 100% overhaul it and keep it on the road.

Thanks,

JT

Guest my3buicks

JT, that is a shame for those of us that followed with interest - it is also cutting your nose off to spite your face as you are cutting out your BUICK audience and more than likely a potential buyer, so if the car is to be sold, this is probably not a good place to **** on someones Wheaties. Our loss, your loss.

I also hate it that you are not continuing your posting and updates. Would have loved to have followed the journey no matter where the car eventually ends up. I found this car and it's history to be most interesting and somewhat unique. Again congrats on the find.

Guest dick beckley
Thanks a bunch! This is truly a great find. I'm glad to see so many people appreciate it. We were very apprehensive on this purchase just because we are mopar people, and had very limited buick knowledge.

A few comments on your "barn find".

I'm a longtime member of the 53-54 Skylark club and a past BOD member of same and have owned 4 54's and 7 53's. I currently own one of each , including a mostly original 54 that I purchased from the original owner in 1984, repainted , upholstered the seats, and detailed the car over the years. Last year , I received my AACA Senior award with this car.

1. The engines were never red. I can't imagine anyone painting a 3-4 year old car the wrong engine color.

2. The car really does look to have many more miles than 26K on it irregardless of the "documented " papers.

3. I've never seen a black Skylark with two toned blue interior. Black cars had black and yellow, black and white, or solid red interiors. The two toned blue was in white cars and cars of various shades of blue. To my knowledge , this combo was never an option.

4. The continental kit was NOT a factory option, but was a dealer installed option. This one appears to be period correct.

5. The VIN # looks to be in the right sequence except for the prefix 7 which my car does not have. The VIN#'s were not pulled out separate for Skylarks, but were issued on line with all the other Buicks coming down the line. The build plate on the firewall will designate the Skylark production #, a number from 1 to 836, the number of Skylarks built. This plate will also code the color of the car AND the interior upholstery color.

6. According to my references, the cars with A100 up #'s were all built at the Flint plant. I believe all 836 Skylarks were built there.. Whoever said Atlanta was wrong . The Atlanta VIN#'s started with A600. Starting engine #'s for Skylarks and 70 series cars was V273956-7.

I hope that some of this helps. I'm not meaning to be critical of your car, just trying to share some knowledge I have on these cars. This looks like a really good , solid survivor. Whoever said to think low to restore or high to keep as an original or cosmetic and mechanical upgrade was correct. These cars are expensive to restore. I'd place it's value at 35-50K in this condition, perhaps a bit more if planning on not restoring it. Prices are down from what they were pre-2008-09, but are slowly going up .

Thanks for your input Dick. This is indeed an interesting Skylark. I too can not recall ever seeing a black skylark with this blue interior. But you have to ask yourself why not, it is gorgeous. Turns out it is indeed original as supported by the data plate. And as an fyi, the number prefixes IE 4,5,6 and 7 began appearing on the VIN plates sometime in April of '54. The owner communicate privately with me the data and vin plate info and asked me to decipher it. Hopefully he will not mind my sharing my findings and response to him here.

Here is what I can tell you from the data and VIN tags.

The VIN 7 A 1099721

7 = Either a Roadmaster or Skylark, in this case of course the Skylark. It is the same because the Rdmstr and SL share the same engine and the last digit of the engine serial #'s are the same IE 7

A= The year, 1954. This was the first year they started using a letter as a prefix. 1955 was B and so on

1= Flint MI., it was built in Flint MI, same as ALL Skylarks. 2 would mean a car was built in Southgate CA, 3 in Linden NJ etc etc.

099721 is its sequence number of being built. Judging by this specific number your car was built around the middle of May, 1954. This was toward the end of the production of theSkylarks.

The Data Plate

1954 Mod 54 = Model year 1954, 100= Skylark Series

Style No. 54 = 1954, 4767SX = Skylark (I have also seen this as 4767SX, not sure why the differences)

Body No G = Flint, 655 = the sequence of build of the car, it was the 655th Skylark built (out of the 836)

Trim No 67 = Blue Leather Two Tone. (the waffle pattern was unique to the Skylark) I can't make out the other number on this line which I think represents the top color.

Paint No = Carlsbad Black

The continental kit is definitely an aftermarket but looks really cool on the car, complimenting the rear tail lights very well in my opinion. What I love about this car is the fact it is still original and shows the fact that folks use to actually drive and enjoy these rare cars. I would not touch a thing other than items needing TLC to maintain them.

Your 30-50K estimate of value is dead on with what I personally suggested to the owner through very early private correspondence. I also made an offer of $30K but did not receive a response. That offer still stands.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

In today's world the factory DECIDES what colors go where, well, I'm sure someone has pulled some strings and had a Buick built with THEIR colors.

In 1954 dad was general manager of a Buick dealership in Bloomington, IL. A business owner requested a set of color options for his Roadmaster sedan. GREEN main body, FIRE TRUCK RED top, and MED-DARK BLUE interior. Dad sent the order in, the factory called to confirm these colors. Dad advised them that the owner owned a CARNIVAL, and this was to be a PARADE car.

The car was built with these colors, and the owner was one of just a FEW that liked it.

You COULD order what you wanted in 1954, at least I know of at least one rare color combo.

Dale in Indy

I know this is a bit off the barn find title but..... just to maybe confirm what smithbrother has posted......

A close friend of mine has a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 that his Dad bought new for just over 5,000.00 (I know... this is a Buick forum). Just to relate to special ordered paint combo's, the car was ordered with what was described as "Thunderbird" Burgandy metal flake which supposedly was not available for the Mustang. It took about 5 months or so as I recall to be delivered.

Again off topic but this car currently has about 45,000 miles, all original and goes like a scared rabbit! No, he won't sell it to me!

Now... back to the barn find and good luck.