Drop Transmission

I was thinking about taking the transmission <BR>out of my 71 Buick. Since I don't have a lift<BR>is there enough clearance to take it out from the side with a regular jack and jack stands.<P>I would need to get a tranny jack. Any recommendations?

no there is not. you have to jack the car up and use jack stands. this is only about a $100 investment and it is the kind of tools that a car guy is going to use a lot. it is well worth the money.<P>john

Their is room. I had to unbolt the exhaust and cut the cross pipe so I could manuever them over the trans. I made a joke to my dad that it's probably easier to pull trannys on Chevy's because they don't have the dog ears at the top of the bell housing. We had to pick up the back of the trans and move it around to get the front to clear.<P>We used straps and a modified floor jack with a bracket that fits the bottom of a trans pan. It's a really messy job once you spill the contents of the torque converter all over the ground. <P>Tomsriv<BR>71 Riviera<p>[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: Tomsriv ]

Some thoughts, I use four jack stands so the car is level this helps a bunch in replacment because the the jack and car are parallel. Drain the pan first so the fluid won't run out when you pull the drive shaft. You can buy plugs for the tail shaft to stop the leakage but draining it is just as good. If the old trans is junk and has no core value drill a hole in the converter and let it drain before removal, once it is drained turn it 180 degrees for a no spill removal. When you take out the flex plate to coverter bolts turn it and push it into the trans, this is only a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch but it will help hold it in. If the old trans was any thing less than perfect (I do all of mine) you need to flush out the cooler and lines. You can use air to blow it out but this won't clean it. I take some fuel line that fits over the cooler line, sometime a clamp is needed. Find the line out of the bottom of the cooler and run it to your drain pan. The other line needs enought to get up above the radiator this can be in the engine compartment or along side the car. take a squeeze bottle and push a quart of Berrymans chem tool through the cooler. followed by air then at least 2 quarts of ATF, more air. Now install the new trans. Transmissions are bulky and awkward it helps to have a friend. I also cut the heads of two 3/8 X 3" bolts and screw them into the block bellhousing bolt holes (be sure they can come out past any part of the trans) they make lining up a snap once you get the other bolts started they come right out. Good luck JIM

sorry for such a stupid reply. i thought you said without a jack and jack stands. just ignore me as i go and sit in the corner with the dunce cap on....<P>john