54 76C Somebody just shoot me

MrEarl

Momma-Mia - This one will be entertaining to watch. Looks really nice. A perfect rare car to drive and enjoy without worrying about getting a stone chip or two. The guy did an excellent job on the ad description as well.

It has been on the market for 2-3 weeks at around the low $30's. I'll bet it meets reserve and I bet it goes across the pond. Any takers?

It sounds like they are pricing it to sell and I'd guess they probabaly aren't hurting for money so may not try to squeeze every last cent out of it. I'm thinking it will hit reserve also. Of course I have no clue but its fun to play the guessing game.

It has been on the market for 2-3 weeks at around the low $30's. I'll bet it meets reserve and I bet it goes across the pond. Any takers?

That would be a shame (to go to Europe) How is it they have more money to spend and more appreciation for these cars then we do? Anyway, can you provide more expert knowledge on this one? What's right, what's not? I see what appears to be a blue dash and I can't say I have ever seen a white and brown seating like that. I like the muted colors. Is that a factory color, Butternut Yellow/tan?

Guest ewing

Ditto,BJM comments; I'd like an expert opinion as to what is original restored and what is not. The interior seats and panels look like vinyl and not a 54 pattern? I wonder what the roof looks like? I wonder if we could talk Thriller to invest in this one?

The paint has to be a re-spray, but the body is so straight! and the edges of the ser. plate don't look oversprayed seems they took great care in taping this off before painting...It looks like a very nice driver.

Unfortunately, I would probably be living as a single man again though if I bought this car!

1954 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

I strongly suspect that that is the original interior. Jake, I've told you before, you're color blind son, the dash is green, standard interior paint color with Condor Yellow exterior. It is definitely a respray and Condor Yellow has some green in the mix that I am not seeing with this. I wonder if the car has an engine or trunk floor....no pictures to attest to it. If I had about $24,000 in spare change I'd offer it.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

It probably is worth $30,000. But I'd be afraid to offer it. Afraid he might accept.

This car could be a fun driver to local shows if you just wanted to display it. I never thought I'd want to drive a convertible long distances though. It's conditon wouldn't gain you many points in judged class. I'd pay the $24K for the enjoyment of using it as a driver. However, IMO a car of this classic status deserves a full and correct restoration, meaning another $60-70,000. Then, because it's a convertible, you wouldn't want to drive it across country, so then you got yourself a trailer queen. there, just talked myself right out of it.

Guest 89 Maui

That condor yellow '54 brings back alot of memories.

My father had a 54 Super condor yellow with a green interior.

Took my drivers license test in that car.

My buddy and I spent many hours listening to rock-n-roll in that 54.

That condor yellow '54 brings back alot of memories.

My father had a 54 Super condor yellow with a green interior.

Took my drivers license test in that car.

My buddy and I spent many hours listening to rock-n-roll in that 54.

GOT PICTURES?????

. . . . . The interior seats and panels look like vinyl and not a 54 pattern? . . . . .

The pattern appears to be correct for a 1954 Roadmaster (70 series) convertible. The TRIM COMBINATION CHART for 1954 Buicks indicate that both Code #54-78 and Code #54-88 are TAN LEATHER WITH IVORY LEATHER interiors. I do not know the difference between the two Code numbers.

To the Duke of Earl:

Here's another stupid idea . . . . . ask each BCA member for a donation . . . . . 8,000 BCA members @ $3.75 each.

Where do I send my $3.75? ;)

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-143139100128_thumb.jpg

Guest wildcat465
there, just talked myself right out of it.

Good luck with that.

Sure would look good with Mr. Earl behind the wheel tho.

The pattern appears to be correct for a 1954 Roadmaster (70 series) convertible. The TRIM COMBINATION CHART for 1954 Buicks indicate that both Code #54-78 and Code #54-88 are TAN LEATHER WITH IVORY LEATHER interiors. I do not know the difference between the two Code numbers.

To the Duke of Earl:

Here's another stupid idea . . . . . ask each BCA member for a donation . . . . . 8,000 BCA members @ $3.75 each.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

[ATTACH=CONFIG]146170[/ATTACH]

Al, I think we have bantied around that idea previously. I think communal ownership is a fantastic idea. I would be glad to put in $100 easy. Mr. Earl can keep it, but I want to drive it at a National or Regional or a friendly visit, as others could. That would be the best $100 I ever spent!

Lamar, as to my color blindness, you have an excellent memory. I need to spend more time on the 54 website. I am trying. I was going to call it CONDOR YELLOW but figured there was a softer yellow out there and I thought there was, by softer I mean more brown in it or such. Condor Yellow usually really looks yellow.

I was disappointed in the quality of his photos. I know he has the slide show but still..

Guest ewing

It does look green on the dash. Now that I think of it there was a 'yellow' 56 Buick here in town with a green interior.

Did you guys hear the story from a few weeks ago about the gramma that was bullied on a school bus by the students and they put it on line? And a guy in Canada posted it and asked for donations to give the lady some money to compensate her for the grief they caused?... with a stated goal of raising $5,000. He handed her a cheque for over half a million dollars about a week later.

Maybe we could do the same for Mr Earl... not the bullying part, but the raising funds.... so he can drive the 54 roadmaster convert off into the sunset. I'd chip in $3.75.

Heck, why not treat it like a time share? Figure out the cost of a week and then find 52 guys willing to kick that in! You get it for one week a year and you have to return it to Buick Gardens...for the next guy.. Saturday to Saturday. Might work..

$30,000, huh? Makes me remember when I bought my '64 Riviera in 1978. I can't remember if I paid $1900 or $2100. It was one of the two. I was 30 and it was a big reach at the time. My friends said I was nuts for paying more than $1,000 for a Riviera.

I am totally opposed to buying a collector car based on common sense. If it makes your heart beat fast, is beyond your budget, and you worry about someone buying it before you get back..... It will surely be a more rewarding purchase than an objective calculated one.

Bernie

To the Duke of Earl:

Al Mack

BCA #8965

[ATTACH=CONFIG]146170[/ATTACH]

It does look green on the dash. Now that I think of it there was a 'yellow' 56 Buick here in town with a green interior.

Did you guys hear the story from a few weeks ago about the gramma that was bullied on a school bus by the students and they put it on line? And a guy in Canada posted it and asked for donations to give the lady some money to compensate her for the grief they caused?... with a stated goal of raising $5,000. He handed her a cheque for over half a million dollars about a week later.

Maybe we could do the same for Mr Earl... not the bullying part, but the raising funds.... so he can drive the 54 roadmaster convert off into the sunset. I'd chip in $3.75.

Very well then, I will condition the purchase upon final payment being made upon my receipt of 8000 pieces of mail each containing $3.75. Let's just make it an even $4.00 in case a few folks don't get the memo.

I see see I'm in competition with a no feedback first time bidder.

In all seriousness, in my opinion, based on what the ebay description and pictures reveal about the car, $30K is indeed a fair price for buyer and seller for this car. I need to be careful and not practice Bernies's teachings here though, or else I myself could quickly become a "barn find".

Looking carefully at the slide show of photos at the bottom of the listing. Manny photos nearly identical. It seems that the upper dash and door reveals are black as is the carpet. That carpet was pulled back in a couple shots and rough kick pannels. Also some chipped paint in the door jamb and the fuel door look black underneath. To me it is suspicious that there are no photos of top up! The boot apears to have a torn spot.

Larry

Too bad it isn`t a `55.............

It's right across the woods from you Bob. Go write out a check and drive it home.

as an update, I've received two emails giving notice that "The Reserve Price Has Been Lowered".

Given the the read on the cars history alone, if this car sells for anything under 28K, somebody would be getting a deal.

Very well then, I will condition the purchase upon final payment being made upon my receipt of 8000 pieces of mail each containing $3.75. Let's just make it an even $4.00 in case a few folks don't get the memo.

I see see I'm in competition with a no feedback first time bidder.

In all seriousness, in my opinion, based on what the ebay description and pictures reveal about the car, $30K is indeed a fair price for buyer and seller for this car. I need to be careful and not practice Bernies's teachings here though, or else I myself could quickly become a "barn find".

OK Ladies and gentlemen, I've been going to the mailbox every day and today I went and waited until the big haired post office lady closed the doors at 5:00. I'm not understanding why the 8000 envelopes with the $4 in them did not make it here by end of auction.Only one envelope laden with the $4 contribution made it. Man oh man, I guess I know who my real Buick enthusie friends are.

3 hours left and THE RESERVE HAS BEEN MET @ $28,500. Should I ask if he'll take $4.00 down to give everybody a little more time to get that ?

Thank you brother Paul. You da man. I'll hold on to the 4 bills and buy you a drink in South Bend, the least I can do.

post-31987-143139107749_thumb.jpg

Guest wildcat465
Thank you brother Paul. You da man. I'll hold on to the 4 bills and buy you a drink in South Bend, the least I can do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]147134[/ATTACH]

Just trying to help a brutha out. I'll bring more singles with me to S.B. along with who knows what, you just bring some good southern moonshine to share. And we (and hopefully many others will be JUST fine.

Guest Caribou
OK Ladies and gentlemen, I've been going to the mailbox every day and today I went and waited until the big haired post office lady closed the doors at 5:00. I'm not understanding why the 8000 envelopes with the $4 in them did not make it here by end of auction.Only one envelope laden with the $4 contribution made it. Man oh man, I guess I know who my real Buick enthusie friends are.

3 hours left and THE RESERVE HAS BEEN MET @ $28,500. Should I ask if he'll take $4.00 down to give everybody a little more time to get that ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]147134[/ATTACH]

With the cost of international postage, these Canadian dollars are hardly worth shipping. And since our new 50s and 100s melt at high heat I'll be trying to keep any I find on this side of the border.