Matching Numbers on 1954 Buick Skylark

Guest CKC

I recently purchased a 1954 Buick Skylark and would like help identifying whether it is a matching numbers car. Can someone assist me?

First off, congrats on the purchase of your 54 Skylark, I see from your signature it joins two other beautiful and classic automobiles. You are a lucky guy.

When you say "matching numbers car" I am assuming you are referring to whether or not the engine is the engine that came with the car? About the only observation that can be made on a Buick of this year is whether the engine is the correct engine for the series that it is in. There were no records of what engines was installed in what body that I know of. If you will check the engine number, it should have a # 7 as the last digit of the number. That # 7 represents a 70 Series/Roadmaster engine which was used in the Skylarks.

Hope this helps. Please share some pictures of the car here and also in the Buick Forum'Me and My Buick subforum. We'd also love to have you join us out on the '54 Buick Highway. We have a subforum just for you Skylark folks.

Thanks MrEarl for the information and invitation. I am new to collecting classic automobiles so hopefully you can provide me with more help. I located a number on the engine, which reads 1163206-4. Does that indicate another engine was installed in the car or am I looking in the wrong place for the number?

I will check out the '54 Buick Highway and will also share some pictures.

those numbers don't work for a '54 engine # so must be a manifold or other part number you are looking at. The engine number is stamped (not molded) on a machined surface on the top outer edge of the left cylinder bank, between the middle branches of exhaust manifold. You'll need a flash light and good eyes to see. I often find it easier to take a picture of it and read the numbers from the picture. This is from a disassembled engine, those are the two center pistons to the left and right.

post-31987-143139100831_thumb.jpg

See ya on the '54 Buick Highway buba.gif

Looking over the driver side front fender, look toward the center of the engine and just above exhaust manifold. The number is stamped on the block, right where the heads bolt on. Maybe this picture will help.

click on these pics a couple time to magnify

post-31987-143139101713_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139101432_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)