A Way to Verify a 72 Riv GS

I'm probably not the right guy for ya, but the best places I would think are the VIN & Cowl Plate. <P>Checkout this <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001953" TARGET=_blank>post</A>, it has the correct info for a 70-72 Rivera.<P>You can also search the board for previous questions about 'Is it a GS?'. I know there is at least one I remember. Someone I recall said the GS had an extra letter in the VIN.<P>Noted in the chassis manual, provided I'm not presuming to much, if it's a posi rear then odds are it's a GS. But that may be false as it looks like it was also an option.<P>Whats strange is in my books it doesn't say how to tell, just the fact there were two, stock and GS.<P>Good Luck!<P>-S

I had a 72 Riv GS. It did not come with a chrome air cleaner cover. Maybe I got gypped. The engine did checkout as the GS version. <P>A posi rear is not always an indication of a GS. You could order a posi rear on any Riv. You could order a 2.93:1 posi too if that made you smile.<p>[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: Straycat ]

The block had the WA code; the WF code was for the standard 455 engine.<P>Look at the block between the last two spark plugs near the dip stick (on the driver's side of the engine) for the block code. It may be covered with road grime or may not be there if the engine block was decked during a rebuild.<P>The heads (when we pulled them) had the larger Stage-1 valves installed. The casting numbers for the standard and Riv-GS cylinder heads are the same. You have to remove the valve covers to see the casting number.<p>[ 04-22-2001: Message edited by: Straycat ]

Straycat<BR>Did your GS come with a rear sway bar? I was thinking that it was a GS only item and would be easy to check.<P>Tomsriv<BR>71 Riviera

Now you're really testing my memory. I know I removed the rear cover on the differential, but I don't recall seeing a rear swaybar on the car. I think I would have remembered that. I must be getting old. frown.gif" border="0<P>[ 04-23-2001: Message edited by: Straycat ]<P>I just got off the phone with my friend who has a 71 Riv-GS. It does not have a rear swaybar either.<p>[ 04-23-2001: Message edited by: Straycat ]

Hey guys I've got a copy of the 72 vin system that I got from Buick division when I requested info on it from them. If I am reading this correctly there were 4 different 455 vin# option codes for 72 the 5th digit of the vin is engine code according to the sheet there is code U: 255hp 4bbl dual exhaust code V: 265hp 4bbl dual exhaust code W: 275hp 4bbl dual exhaust code T: 230hp 4bbl single exhaust. Hope this helps and if I'm incorrect in my interpretation I hope somebody corrects me. grin.gif" border="0