Sign in to follow this  
RSayak

My 1932 Dodge DL project

My mistake, you posted this above. I meant to say car no or am I missing this as well

Body number (firewall) is "DL 1725 TPC"

I can't open my passenger door at the moment, and don't have the papers with the VIN handy at the moment either (such is the fun of having the car, parts and books, and myself in 3 different locations). :(

Oh I see, that number will not do much good than, maybe Phil will clue us in on what he knows though about that number.

When you are able to open the door and get the number we can put the two together and see what happens

...maybe Phil will clue us in on what he knows though about that number.

I don't know specifically what his number stands for.

My firewall plate lists the body number as 13808S. I assume the "S" stands for sedan

I don't know specifically what his number stands for.

My firewall plate lists the body number as 13808S. I assume the "S" stands for sedan

I knew partially what it stood for but I dont want to take all the glory. ( clearly since you own a 32 you would have more knowledge in most respects concerng the car than I would ) Anyway this response is from a friend of mine and it does a much better job of explaining it ( and more thorough ) than I might have.

DL 1725 TPC" means that the guy has the 1,725th DL rumble seat coupe body painted and trimmed at Dodge Main in Detroit. The prefix TPC was started in March of 1930, it stands for "two passenger coupe", that's what they called the rumble seat coupes. Don't ask me why, they just did. The business coupes used the prefix "BC".

That's what I thought the body number meant. Also, I was able to find my serial number, and it's within the last 2000 DL's produced in 1932 according to the serial number ranges (and that handy decoder on the Plymouth First Decade site). I guess my next step is to get my documentation package from Chrysler Historical. I think that the car was originally Dodge blue, but I don't know if the fenders were black. There's no paint left on them.

Thanks for the information. That's really neat stuff to know.

I might have more luck looking for a trunk that has the correct visual look to it than the actual correct trunk. The DL I'm working on did not come with the side-mount spares, nor the trunk rack, however my father did collect most all of the parts to add them to the car, so I may as well add them, as I do prefer the look for the dual spares anyhow.

As for the Lyon covers, I'll have to keep an eye out for a set. I think I might have some outer bands that look similar, but I will have to measure them (width and approx O.D.). I know I don't have any of the side covers though. I've attached a pair of cropped photos, the first showing the Lyon, the second showing some different cover (on a DK). Both look nicer than the bare tire to me. Did they just re-use the rad shell emblem on the covers, or is that a special badge that is going to be impossible to find? I wish I had clearer photos. I might have to order some of those factory prints off eBay.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]148770[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]148771[/ATTACH]

I have seen three totally original cars with spare tire covers that have the winged DB emblem on them. They all had the groove as the radiator badges do for the "peak" on the shell.

You're reading my mind now! That's the question I had in my mind after staring at that grill emblem for a while and wondering if the spare cover ones had that groove or not.

Speaking of emblems, I've seen one picture of one with yellow on the inner parts of the wings (feathers), and plated wingtips. My radiator badge needs to be redone, as it looks like someone tried to pry it off. The blue cloisonné on the center shield is damaged, but it don't have anything on the wings other than chrome/nickel. What's it supposed to look like?

You're reading my mind now! That's the question I had in my mind after staring at that grill emblem for a while and wondering if the spare cover ones had that groove or not.

Speaking of emblems, I've seen one picture of one with yellow on the inner parts of the wings (feathers), and plated wingtips. My radiator badge needs to be redone, as it looks like someone tried to pry it off. The blue cloisonné on the center shield is damaged, but it don't have anything on the wings other than chrome/nickel. What's it supposed to look like?

Your 1931 and 1932 6 cylinder cars would have an all blue center (similar to first photo). The 8 cylinder cars will have the blue center with partially gold wings (third photo). Any year after 1932 would have all gold/amber (photo with two emblems).

post-37352-143139127655_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313912766_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139127661_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Yeah, my brother's 1938 D9 has the fancy amber and gold wings. Thanks for the photos guys!

Are the '31 radiator emblems the same as the '32? I was looking at mine, and it's bent, and the cloisonne is chipped out the top center and wings have rust through the chrome/nickel.

Speaking of chrome: what parts are actually chrome on this car? Bumpers and rad shell? are door handles, inside and outside, as well as dash knobs nickel plated?

The 1931 DH6 and 1932 DL6 have the same radiator shell emblem with the blue glass only. The 1931 DG8 and 1932 DK8 have the amber next to the blue. After 1932, they were all amber.