My 1932 Dodge DL project

RSayak

I'm starting this thread to post photos of parts/questions as I dig them up to get input from fellow owners of 1932 Dodge DL cars. My goal is to bring this car back to life and I would like to stay as correct as I can with it.

Here's a few photos of my DL rumble seat coupe project. Looks like some sort of aftermarket steering column lock on it. Also, the engine number reads D DL 22047 B, which looks correct for the car, so I don't know why someone wrote DeSoto on the side of the head (unless DeSoto heads fit?).

Original colour (what's left) appears to be green.

Needless to say, I won't be driving this car around as a preserved original...

Where does one find the serial number on these things, and what does the body number mean? (mine has DL 1725 TPC on the firewall plate)

post-86486-143139099229_thumb.jpg

post-86486-143139099168_thumb.jpg

post-86486-143139099202_thumb.jpg

Edited by RSayak
Added information (see edit history)

I'm starting this thread to post photos of parts/questions as I dig them up to get input from fellow owners of 1932 Dodge DL cars. My goal is to bring this car back to life and I would like to stay as correct as I can with it.

Here's a few photos of my DL rumble seat coupe project. Looks like some sort of aftermarket steering column lock on it. Also, the engine number reads D DL 22047 B, which looks correct for the car, so I don't know why someone wrote DeSoto on the side of the head (unless DeSoto heads fit?).

Original colour (what's left) appears to be green.

Needless to say, I won't be driving this car around as a preserved original...

Where does one find the serial number on these things, and what does the body number mean? (mine has DL 1725 TPC on the firewall plate)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]146075[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]146076[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]146077[/ATTACH]

Not to nitpick, but your coupe would be considered a 4-passenger coupe. The 5-passenger coupe is more along the look of a Victoria.....here's a 5-passenger coupe. The serial number will be on the passenger side "A" pillar. Interesting aftermarket steering locking device you have on the column.

post-37352-143139099636_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I don't recall calling it a 5 passenger coupe, if I did it's probably because some bad reference books I read! But good info to know. Thanks! ;)

The passenger door has all it's handles missing. once I find a handle, I'll look for the serial number.

I forgot to attach a shot of the engine compartment. I noticed that there's a raised "SC" cast on the head. Maybe that's why someone scribbled Desoto on it.

post-86486-143139099738_thumb.jpg

My brother also has a DL coupe, but its a business coupe. It's past life included being a crude street rod in the 50's -early 60's before becoming a parts car for a friend of the family's DL rumble seat coupe restoration project. It's just an empty body shell and rolling chassis at the moment. It's somewhat interesting because it has 6-bolt wheels on it, which is odd, and I was told it's a Canadian made car. I am not sure if the axles were swapped at some point or not, but I do have axles from a rotten DL sedan that was parted out.

Anyhow, this is my starting point. I'd love to end up with something like that nice 5 passenger coupe!

Sorry...it was in another of your posts that I read that...

"[h=2]Re: 32 DL[/h]

I guess I would have to contact Chrysler Historical for the build code? It's a 5-passenger coupe and it looks like it was originally green.

Also, see my post for photos, etc:

"

Could be somebody changed the head...it has that 1931 DeSoto SA look to it. 1932 DL heads are flat, I believe...

post-37352-143139099783_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139099785_thumb.jpg

Not to nitpick, but your coupe would be considered a 4-passenger coupe. The 5-passenger coupe is more along the look of a Victoria.....here's a 5-passenger coupe. The serial number will be on the passenger side "A" pillar. Interesting aftermarket steering locking device you have on the column.

To further this little topic, I dug up the owner's manual for the car yesterday, and I noticed that they have 2 coupes listed in the front pages: the business coupe, and the two passenger coupe. I guess this is technically the two passenger coupe (which explains the "TPC" on the body number plate). I thought that was interesting information. I suppose I'll just call it a rumble seat (RS) coupe then, because that's less confusing. ;)

Thanks for the photo! That helps me a lot. Looks like I indeed have a Desoto head on this coupe (I also noticed it says "Silver Dome" cast in raised letters on it). Is there any advantage to running this head?

What's the correct color for the engine? Silver?

Also, I have the book titled "Dodge Brothers Six (Code DL) Instruction Book" : is this both the owner's manual and the service manual, or is there a separate service manual that I should try to find?

Edited by RSayak
forgot something (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

What's a good cross-reference parts book to have for looking for parts for these cars? I have what seems to be photocopies of parts of the 1932 parts book, and some phptocopied sections of a 1934 master parts list, but it doesn't appear complete at all. I wouldn't mind finding a complete master parts list (if they had one spanning all Mopar brands from 1931-1938 that would be good, as that would help with my C19 as well).

Secondly, for sidemount spares, I would like to find the spare tire covers like shown in some of the factory photos. Does anyone know the brand for these or where I should start looking?

Thirdly, I found the trunk rack for the car, however I cannot reach it at the moment, but I would like to start the hunt for an appropriate trunk. The parts list my father left has notes for a 36 x 16 trunk, but I haven't come up with much online for that. Did Dodge offer any particular brand of trunk?

Thanks!

What's a good cross-reference parts book to have for looking for parts for these cars? I have what seems to be photocopies of parts of the 1932 parts book, and some phptocopied sections of a 1934 master parts list, but it doesn't appear complete at all. I wouldn't mind finding a complete master parts list (if they had one spanning all Mopar brands from 1931-1938 that would be good, as that would help with my C19 as well).

Secondly, for sidemount spares, I would like to find the spare tire covers like shown in some of the factory photos. Does anyone know the brand for these or where I should start looking?

Thirdly, I found the trunk rack for the car, however I cannot reach it at the moment, but I would like to start the hunt for an appropriate trunk. The parts list my father left has notes for a 36 x 16 trunk, but I haven't come up with much online for that. Did Dodge offer any particular brand of trunk?

Thanks!

Dodge did not offer a 1932 Model specific parts book so not sure what you have but I would guess that the pages are from some version of a master parts book which are fairly plentiful in re-printed versions. Originals will show up on occasion as well.

I can answer the other questions as well, just need to verify what I believe are the correct answers, maybe someone will beat me to it. If you get no further correct response ask again and I will take the time to do so and answer the other two questions

Thanks guys. I checked the (incomplete) set of copied pages I have and it's a "parts list", but not a master parts list. The front page reads:

Dodge Brothers Six

(Code DL)

Parts List

Starting with Serial Number 3,558,101

Chrysler Export Corporation

Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A

The inside page header says it was published January 1, 1932.

And the other partial set of copied pages I have comes from "Dodge Brothers Passenger Car Master Parts List, August 1934"

I also have a few Hollander interchange books spanning those years, so I might be OK in that regard. But I'll keep looking for a couple of actual parts list books, either original or reprints to fill in some blanks.

Would you mind sending me a scan of that first page and any other pages you feel like sending. I would like to identify what it is that you have. My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com

Interesting, might be there was an export parts list book?

It's likely a parts book for export cars. I'll send you some scans mid-week.

Most of the parts listed should be similar, I would think (hope?). The car I'm working on is a US car and I'm assuming was originally sold in the US as that's where my parents bought it about 15 years ago before bringing it here to Canada. My brother's DL business coupe is a Canadian car and has 6-bolt 19" wheels on it (6-bolt chevy wheels seem to bolt up). I'm not sure if it left the factory that way or not. I'm not up on all the little differences yet. The business couple is missing so much that if there were any different parts, they likely aren't there anymore.

I've also been looking at some of the factory photos floating on eBay, and it looks like there were two types of spare covers. One that appears to be a wide chrome band over the tread with a painted ring over the sidewall (Lyons?), the other seems to be two curved sides with a thin chrome strip in the center. I have the later style on the 1938 Imperial, and the former style seems to show up more often in the factory photos. I don't imagine that either is very easy to find in a 5.50/18 tire size.

Edited by RSayak
spelling (see edit history)

Thanks!

I am glad that I was able to find a confidential bulletin that clearly states Lyon Type spare tire covers as being the correct tire cover available as at a retail cost of 10.00 for metal and 1.50 cent for cloth.

Still looking on the trunk info

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Kinda what I thought, this is what I have come up with and bear in mind this applies to models a few years older than yours. The Kari Kleen Manufacturing Company was located in Sioux City IA. They produced two sizes of trunks for the D.B models Standard Six, Victory Six, Senior Six and the 28 4 cyl cars. The two models of trunks were listed as standard A at 12 x 19 x 34 inside measurement and special A at 12 x 19 x 38.

Trunk orders were sent to D.B Inc attention special equipment division. They were shipped from the Detroit Dist. of the Kari Kleen company. I dont believe any installation were made at Detroit either by D.B or the dist. itself, Its assumed installations were made by the D.B dealer that sold the particular vehicle.

This changed sometime in May of 1929 and possibly earlier but that is the earliest date I have at this point. At this point trunks were being installed and shipped by Detroit and shipped to the dealers as a way to influence sales of some of its stagnant models. 2 Drs vehicles ect.

This cost the dealers an addit. 15.00 per unit and it was recommended that the dealer retail this acces at a cost of 25.00 per unit. Dealers could not opt out of this.

I am looking for info pertinent to your 32 model, I have pictures, can provide dimensions, can provide prices but I dont think at this point that I can provide much else.

Potter trunks comes to mind as well as being a significant trunk manufacturer during this time period but I cant say at this point they they supplied trunks to this make of vehicle.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Thanks for the information. That's really neat stuff to know.

I might have more luck looking for a trunk that has the correct visual look to it than the actual correct trunk. The DL I'm working on did not come with the side-mount spares, nor the trunk rack, however my father did collect most all of the parts to add them to the car, so I may as well add them, as I do prefer the look for the dual spares anyhow.

As for the Lyon covers, I'll have to keep an eye out for a set. I think I might have some outer bands that look similar, but I will have to measure them (width and approx O.D.). I know I don't have any of the side covers though. I've attached a pair of cropped photos, the first showing the Lyon, the second showing some different cover (on a DK). Both look nicer than the bare tire to me. Did they just re-use the rad shell emblem on the covers, or is that a special badge that is going to be impossible to find? I wish I had clearer photos. I might have to order some of those factory prints off eBay.

post-86486-143139123807_thumb.jpg

post-86486-143139123804_thumb.jpg

You could prob. order the prints directly from Chrysler archives, they will prob. be cheaper, you will be supporting the archives and you may sleep better knowing that there is no chance your buying pirated material.

I dont know if the emblems are different but I have always thought that they were

Guest DodgeKCL

I don't think you got an answer to engine colour or 'SC'. This was the SILVER DOME era of Chrysler and I believe all their marques had silver painted heads and black engines and accessories. The 'SC' was a model of DeSoto. Chrysler moved around their engines from product to product to suit their needs. For instance the 1933 Plymouth 6 cylinder engine actually came from the 1930 or '31 Desoto. Chrysler put a down draft carb on it and replacable bearings instead of poured babbitt on the crank and put it in the '33 PC and PDs. It was also used in the 1933 Dodge HC 1/2 ton Commercial Cars,'humpbacks' etc. So don't be surprised if DeSoto and Plymouth stuff fits your Dodge. However Chrysler cars were a whole different animal and nothing except maybe the accessories,gen. etc., will be the same. But I doubt it.

Just an after thought: In the 30s Chrysler used "C" on their car models as in CM,CX etc. Dodge used "D" as in DP,DL etc. Plymouth used "P" as in PA,PB,PC etc. As the "D" had already been used on Dodge,Chrysler used the "S" from Soto for DeSoto as in SC. Which I believe is 1931/'32 DeSoto. Which would tell us something about your engine's heritage.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

I cleaned up the pad on the side of engine block (left side near the front) and the block itself it stamped with DL, so the engine is correct to the car, and may even be the original engine. On the head, there is a raised casting "SC" and "SILVER DOME", so I'm going to say that it's DeSoto (as was painted on with paint pen at some point). I'll likely replace the head with a DL head. I'll also have to give the engine a bath to see if there's any remains of original paint on it.

Jason: Thanks for the tip on Chrysler Historical. I found their contact info and plan to send them the VIN and some $$ to get the line card on this car, and some other goodies.

I cleaned up the pad on the side of engine block (left side near the front) and the block itself it stamped with DL, so the engine is correct to the car, and may even be the original engine. On the head, there is a raised casting "SC" and "SILVER DOME", so I'm going to say that it's DeSoto (as was painted on with paint pen at some point). I'll likely replace the head with a DL head. I'll also have to give the engine a bath to see if there's any remains of original paint on it.

Jason: Thanks for the tip on Chrysler Historical. I found their contact info and plan to send them the VIN and some $$ to get the line card on this car, and some other goodies.

Give us the engine number and we can tell you if its correct.

So don't be surprised if DeSoto and Plymouth stuff fits your Dodge.

Actually, he will be very surprised to find much of anything in common with DeSotos & Plymouths. 1932 was a unique transition year in many ways for DBs: both parts & styling.

The best way will be to cross check part numbers in the DB Master Parts List, and Hollander reprints.

As far as engine color goes, I believe that the gray/green of earlier years may still have ruled. Both of my DLs have light gray (not silver) engines which may not be original.

My mistake, you posted this above. I meant to say car no or am I missing this as well

Body number (firewall) is "DL 1725 TPC"

I can't open my passenger door at the moment, and don't have the papers with the VIN handy at the moment either (such is the fun of having the car, parts and books, and myself in 3 different locations). :(

Oh I see, that number will not do much good than, maybe Phil will clue us in on what he knows though about that number.

When you are able to open the door and get the number we can put the two together and see what happens

I don't know specifically what his number stands for.

My firewall plate lists the body number as 13808S. I assume the "S" stands for sedan

I knew partially what it stood for but I dont want to take all the glory. ( clearly since you own a 32 you would have more knowledge in most respects concerng the car than I would ) Anyway this response is from a friend of mine and it does a much better job of explaining it ( and more thorough ) than I might have.

DL 1725 TPC" means that the guy has the 1,725th DL rumble seat coupe body painted and trimmed at Dodge Main in Detroit. The prefix TPC was started in March of 1930, it stands for "two passenger coupe", that's what they called the rumble seat coupes. Don't ask me why, they just did. The business coupes used the prefix "BC".

That's what I thought the body number meant. Also, I was able to find my serial number, and it's within the last 2000 DL's produced in 1932 according to the serial number ranges (and that handy decoder on the Plymouth First Decade site). I guess my next step is to get my documentation package from Chrysler Historical. I think that the car was originally Dodge blue, but I don't know if the fenders were black. There's no paint left on them.

Thanks for the information. That's really neat stuff to know.

I might have more luck looking for a trunk that has the correct visual look to it than the actual correct trunk. The DL I'm working on did not come with the side-mount spares, nor the trunk rack, however my father did collect most all of the parts to add them to the car, so I may as well add them, as I do prefer the look for the dual spares anyhow.

As for the Lyon covers, I'll have to keep an eye out for a set. I think I might have some outer bands that look similar, but I will have to measure them (width and approx O.D.). I know I don't have any of the side covers though. I've attached a pair of cropped photos, the first showing the Lyon, the second showing some different cover (on a DK). Both look nicer than the bare tire to me. Did they just re-use the rad shell emblem on the covers, or is that a special badge that is going to be impossible to find? I wish I had clearer photos. I might have to order some of those factory prints off eBay.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]148770[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]148771[/ATTACH]

I have seen three totally original cars with spare tire covers that have the winged DB emblem on them. They all had the groove as the radiator badges do for the "peak" on the shell.

You're reading my mind now! That's the question I had in my mind after staring at that grill emblem for a while and wondering if the spare cover ones had that groove or not.

Speaking of emblems, I've seen one picture of one with yellow on the inner parts of the wings (feathers), and plated wingtips. My radiator badge needs to be redone, as it looks like someone tried to pry it off. The blue cloisonné on the center shield is damaged, but it don't have anything on the wings other than chrome/nickel. What's it supposed to look like?

You're reading my mind now! That's the question I had in my mind after staring at that grill emblem for a while and wondering if the spare cover ones had that groove or not.

Speaking of emblems, I've seen one picture of one with yellow on the inner parts of the wings (feathers), and plated wingtips. My radiator badge needs to be redone, as it looks like someone tried to pry it off. The blue cloisonné on the center shield is damaged, but it don't have anything on the wings other than chrome/nickel. What's it supposed to look like?

Your 1931 and 1932 6 cylinder cars would have an all blue center (similar to first photo). The 8 cylinder cars will have the blue center with partially gold wings (third photo). Any year after 1932 would have all gold/amber (photo with two emblems).

post-37352-143139127655_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313912766_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139127661_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Are the '31 radiator emblems the same as the '32? I was looking at mine, and it's bent, and the cloisonne is chipped out the top center and wings have rust through the chrome/nickel.

Speaking of chrome: what parts are actually chrome on this car? Bumpers and rad shell? are door handles, inside and outside, as well as dash knobs nickel plated?

The 1931 DH6 and 1932 DL6 have the same radiator shell emblem with the blue glass only. The 1931 DG8 and 1932 DK8 have the amber next to the blue. After 1932, they were all amber.