Sign in to follow this  
michel88

Do you have a collector car older than you?

I was wondering if many forum members have collector cars older than they are, and the reasons they have them. I have a 1940 Buick Roadmaster Coupe that was built before I was born (1944). The reason I have interest is probably because my Dad bought a new 1940 Buick Super Coupe. Being a frugal and practical man he kept it until 1951, so I have happy childhood memories of it. I hope older cars are still being collected by future generations.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I am a 1955 model and own a 1906, 1912, 1916, 1924, 1926 and 1947 (and a 1965). I really enjoy working on and driving the old ones. When I crave something modern, dry and more comfortable I drive the '47 Dodge.

I have three. Two 1928 Chevys and a 1957 Chevy Bel Air hardtop, all running and actively used. I was born in 1968.

Ron

I would expect three quarters of all AACA members at a minimum can respond in the affirmative on this. I include myself currently with three cars older than my birth year; the oldest by 13 years, a 1934 Terraplane convertible coupe because I admire the styling and engineering. And I'm looking at a 1912........

I was wondering if many forum members have collector cars older than they are, and the reasons they have them. I have a 1940 Buick Roadmaster Coupe that was built before I was born (1944). The reason I have interest is probably because my Dad bought a new 1940 Buick Super Coupe. Being a frugal and practical man he kept it until 1951, so I have happy childhood memories of it. I hope older cars are still being collected by future generations.

My Dad left me his 1933 ford pickup. He bought it before I was born. In my lifetime I remember it running once. I was born in 1971 in case you wanted to know.

My main Amphicar driver is within months of being made when I was. :) My Skyliner is 2 years older than I as well.

I'm 59....my cars are 81. My truck is 45. Two outta three ain't bad.

Almost every one of mine are older than me ('47), 1904 Cad, '11 Brush, '26, '27 and 29 Fords. Exception is a '62 Vette that I got for pure speed and because it was the last of the solid axel versions. The Cad and Brush were compliments of my neighbor who got me interested in old cars at a very early age. Got the '26 Ford for sentimental reasons. Dad's birth year and he learned how to drive in one on Montana country roads. We all have our reasons, and at my age I am running out of reasons to bring more home.

Keep them original, and good luck!

Yes, my car is 11 years older than me. They say age does not matter as long as there is love. It was love at first sight! :)

My truck and I are the same model year, but the truck was "born" in December 1947 and I was hatched in September 1948.

Kind of a mix at this end. My '60 model VW Bug rolled off the assembly line on December 31, 1959, whereas I "rolled off the assembly line" on October 26, 1959. We also have a couple of VWs that are older than I am, plus a couple more air cooled VWs that are younger than I am as well. They're all enjoyable in their own way...

I only owned cars older than me until they became impractical as daily drivers. I was born in 1974 and my first post-me car was a 1984 VW Scirocco that I bought in 1992 because I felt my Corvair would be too unreliable to take 350 miles away to college. That VW turned out to be a nightmare.

My newest non-modern car now is 1933. Later cars don't interest me much, although there may be another corvair in my future.

I was born in 1960. Most of my antique cars have been Model A Fords. Currently, I own a 1929 Model A Ford Phaeton. I have no explanation other than the cars of the 1920s and 1930s have always appealed to me more than any other time period.

My 1931 Buick club coupe is older than me, but not much. I was born in 1932. I had one almost like it in 1951, and sold it before I went into the service for $150. When I found this one on ebay in 2007, old and good memories prompted me to buy it. It cost me quite a bit more than $150 this time, however. Soldier

Current collections has 3 cars older than I am. I've always liked the really old cars and thought I'm no antique,

so my "antique" cars had to be older than me or it makes me an antique too. I'm no antique yet! (66)

While I realize that antiques get older and I don't, it sure beats trying to re-live my car passions as a teenager.

I've never had a "collector car" that wasn't older than I am. I was born in 51 and I did have a 34 Chevy for a few months but I've long lost interest in "new" cars and stick to brass now. I generally feel that cars been going downhill since the invention of the electric starter... That is an exaggeration and if I had the time and energy I would be tempted by many of the early 20s classics that were really big brass cars in disguise.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

They say that, eventually, people yearn for the cars they owned as teen-agers--

or the cars they wanted as teen-agers. People that grew up in the 1950's

love the colors, fins and chrome, and eventually want to obtain cars like those.

People in high school in the 1960's wanted a muscle car, perhaps, and now they

finally can buy one.

According to this theory, most people's current antique cars would be 10 to 20 years younger than they are.

My case is the opposite. I got interested in cars as a teen-ager, and

as soon as I graduated from college, I bought my first antique: a 1957 Buick.

At that time, the cars I wanted in high school were still practically new cars.

So my antique was older than I.

I'm a 74 model. Did Detroit really build much good that year or since? I've never owned a car I considered to be an old car that was built after 74.

My cars are a 36 Chrysler

36 Cord

48 Plymouth

1959 Thunderbird

1956 Olds

1949 Mercury

2-1932 Fords

My intrerest pretty much waines off in the early 1960's

Me, 1966. My cars, 1914, 1931,1932,1936,1937. It's GOT TO BE PREWAR to be cool. Ed

All 13 of my Buick Reattas are older than me... Considering they were made from 88-91, anyone want to take a stab at my age? ;)

I was 23 in 1956 and fresh out of the Army when I bought my first old car a 1915 "T" Ford roadster, I still have it today but the '56 nitro cellulose lacquer has started to fail. Bought it from the original purchaser 8 miles from my home. Have added 6 more pre '16s since. My fair weather daily driver is a '61 Ford Galaxie Sunliner also a "local" car. Where has the time gone? ---Bob

I own 1 car older than me. I was born in 1955- I own a 1952 Buick Super convertible which is like a car my favorite uncle owned ( I say like because his might have been a '51-very little difference)