'31 Model L parts search

avantey

Well, I am finally rebuilding the model L engine and now need parts locator help. It came apart OK with no major surprises so I am grateful. BUT I do need a few things: exhaust valves are shot, intake could be replaced too, valve guides, .030 over pistons (2 7/8" std) with rings (some broken), and the hardest item- camshaft bearings. I have tried a few leads thanks to Dave R. and others I knew of but nothing solid yet. Any leads would be good right now.

If you have an R I have found NOS valves and they may fit others in the 28-29 era. I was told the box read "Hupp R and a bunch of letters". 7.5" OAL, .326 stem threaded, 1 7/16 dia head for exhaust and 1 11/32 for intake, very reasonable price. PM me for contact info.

Thanks for any info-

• 3 months later...

New sleeves can be pressed in your valve guides. You might give the nice folks at Northwestern Auto Supply a call on those engine parts. They bought out a lot of old stock over the years have a substantial accumulation. They are in Grand Rapids MI.

Northwestern Auto Supply, Antique Auto Parts, Old Car and Truck Parts For Sale, Engine Parts, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Well it has been a while since I updated this and a lot has happened. While walking at Hershey Troy called from the Hupp Factory ( I had called him before this) and sent me pistons in .025 over and valves he had found. Turns out he sent five pistons of same size and one larger as he thought I had a six cylinder car. Yet he sent eight of each valve he found by PN. He has since shipped three more pistons to make a matched set of eight, should get them soon. I now own two sets of valves when I spent all summer looking for any valve!! We are going to insert the guides and after clean up the camshaft bearings are OK to use, marginal but within tolerance at about .004-.005" clearance. New ones should be about .003 I guess.

HW- I had talked to Northwestern on all my parts and struck out with them in the summer.