school car for 17 year old

I found a 1986 buick grand sport(century) in<BR>decent shape. My question is the reliablity<BR>of the front wheel drive, 3.8 6cylinder. This<BR>is the first I have seen. I like the body style.(104000miles). Any comments.<BR>Thanks scott

I have several FWD 3.8 liter Buicks in this vintage, and they are nearly bulletproof. Two things to check: my 87 LeSabre T-type with the FWD 3.8 liter drivetrain needed a timing gear at about 60K; it also need a cam sensor at the same time. Otherwise, absolutely reliable. Good luck - the 86 Century GS is nice!

Not sure it's exactly the same, but my 89 LeSabre T-type FWD 3.8 has been great. I think the only things I have had to fix are water pump (once) and alternator (twice) Turned 220000 miles last week. <p>[This message has been edited by BillyBoy (edited 04-15-2001).]

Great drivetrain.I got 149,000 without changing timing chain and gear,but we were lucky and dont beat the car.<P>It is recomended by 100,000 miles failure to do so could lead to damage of valves or pistons and at the least leave you stranded by the road.<P>All cars have recomended timing belt or chain replacement times,so this is not peticular to the Buick V6. <P>This is a very rare car you are looking at there.If you search back in time on this site you can find posts on the car.<P>Good luck!

Nice car. Very rare about 1100 built I think. Info can be found here: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4601/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4601/</A> <BR>The timing sprocket is nylon coated from the factory. They usually last only about 75k. Most replacement ones are made of steel. If it's replaced with a steel one, don't worry about it. If it hasn't I'd change it so you don't end up with bad valves. Otherwise it's a very reliable engine. And a nice looking car.<P><P>------------------<BR>-Keith<P>'87 Lesabre T-type<P>'86 Regal w/350 (still in progress)<P><A HREF="http://members.nbci.com/lesabrettype/index.html" TARGET=_blank>The Lesabre T-type Page</A>

My opinion is that this would be a great "starter-Buick." This would be a unique and fun car with good performance. The all-blacked out car should appeal to younger folks. The 3.8 Buick V6 engine has proven reliability, I have had two of engines and they both have had over 150,000 miles. If driven reasonably, even a high mileage engine should last for years. When I sold my 1985 Buick Electra T-Type to a co-worker with 150,000+ miles, I was concerned about how long it would last with him driving. He was able to "beat-it" for 30,000+ miles before it gave up. It should have run for another 100,000 miles.<P>Have fun and good luck with this rare Buick,<P>------------------<BR>Frank Lee<BR>BCA # 14103<BR>franklee@uplink.net

• 2 weeks later...

IM A 16 YEAR OLD WITH A CENTURY T-TYPE, SAME SETUP AS THE GS. ITS A GREAT KID CAR, PLENTY OF LOW END POWER, I PUSH THE S*IT OUT OF THE CAR EVERYDAY BUT THE ENGINE WONT GIVE. AND AT 150,000 MILES I THINK I CAN GET 20 MORE OUT OF IT.<P>MIKE\CENTURY T-TYPE<BR>VENOM CHIP<BR>K&N INTAKE<BR>3"EXAUST<BR>225HP 267TOURQE