poston or ta ?

i'm bilding a 350 buick for 1970 buick lesabre and need some helpful advice my goal is a 12 to 13 sec car maybe with the option of nitrous not sure but here's the run down on the block oringinal 1970 350 2bbl rated at 260 horsepower the block is now getting a .30 overbore i want to go with 10:25 pistons either 118 cam from poston or the 310 from ta headers form poston since ta doesn't make one for my make either poston intake or ta which is better and the basic rebuild materials with the tranny i was thinking of maybe going with a th400 or th350 with a 2500rpm stall and 3.73 gears on this bad boy by the way does anyone know how to get a posi for this car. and also the heads are getting ported and having new hardend exhaust seats put in with a standard head job.<P>------------------<BR>Jose (buick)cuervo

i would go with TA perf. i thnk that they are alot more knowledgeable overall and they have very high quality products. also they will work with you and try to give you the best set up possible. since they do lots of research....i would go with them. it is better to get it from the horses mouth.<P>john

I would have to say TA also. Of course I've never dealt with poston before. I have a TA cam in my 350, although I haven't got it running yet. TA seems to have alot more products also. According to their catolog, there intake has been tested against the rest, and has proven to be better.<P><P>------------------<BR>-Keith<P>'87 Lesabre T-type<P>'86 Regal w/350 (still in progress)<P><A HREF="http://members.nbci.com/lesabrettype/index.html" TARGET=_blank>The Lesabre T-type Page</A>

If you're serious about using nitrous you might want to go with a lower compression piston. I'd also go with the T350 trans as it takes less HP to run than the T400. <P>I'm running a Lunati H230-245 cam, TA intake, TA headers, T350 trans w/shift kit, and 3.23 gears in my '69 GS California and the best it has run is 14.6@95mph. I know I have more tuning to do and hope to see 13s, but I doubt it would ever see 12s (without a HUGE shot of nitrous).

'70 LeSabre is a lot of car to try and move that fast with a 350. Most 350 skylarks work pretty hard to get down into the 13's. If you really want to get to the high 12's, why not just start with a 455. The buildup price is not much more and there are a LOT more high perf parts available for a 455.

I BUILT A 455 WITH PARTS FROM POSTON,THEY DO AN EXCELLENT JOB AND THEY HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS LONGER. WHEN T/A GOT STARTED THEY WERE ACTUALLY SELLING THEIR PARTS THROUGH POSTON. T/A DOES SEEM TO HAVE THE EDGE IN SUPER HIGH PERF STUFF.

I AM LOWERING THE COMPRESSION TO 9:1 OR 9:5 AND IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THE MOST HORSEPOWER THE BUICK EVER HAD IN THE 350 WHICH WAS 315 HORSEPOWER AND THE ENGIBE I HAVE IN MIND WOULD BE MAKING IN ACCESS OF 400 HORSEPOWER WITHOUT NITROUS HAVING WORKED IN A MACHINE SHOP BEFORE AND BUILDING ENGINES BEFORE I KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF AN ENGINE BUT WHAT I WAS ASKING IS AS FAR AS REAL WORLD PERFORMANCE WHICH IS DOING BETTER I DIDN'T WANT TO USE THE BOOKS FOR INFO BEING IN THE BUISNESS BEFORE WHAT THE BOOKS STATES ISN'T ALWAYS CORRECT SO WHAT WHAT I NEED IS SOMEONE WHO HAS A POSTON AND TA INTAKE OR SETUP AND HOW DO THEY LIKE IT . aLSO FURTHER MORE ABOUT GETTING THAT CAR INTO THE 13'S OR HIGH 12'S I BELIVE THAT TA SPONSERS A BUICK THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE FASTEST 350 AND HAVIN THE BOOK IN SIGHT IT READS ROGER REEDS 1973 GS 350 IN FULL TRIM WEIGHING 3700 LBS .IS THE MOST POWERFUL 350 BUICK ENGINE THAT TA PERFORMANCE IS INVOLVED WITH 480 HORSEPOWER 420 FT.LBS OF TORQUE E.T. 11.65 AT 116 MPH.

hey mike what were you using what type of cam ported or unported heads what was your compression and what do you think is the average horsepower that engine is making<BR>

I was using Poston's 114 cam with unported heads and headers, 9.0 to 1 CR, in a 3800 lbs ( with out driver ) Skylark. The car has 3.55 gears and 2200 stall converter. I dont know the horsepower but the best ET's are in the high 14's. Not to offend but after learning a bit about buick motors I would have to second the motion on going to a 455 to achieve the times you want it will be a whole lot cheaper. There is a guy in Ohio, Sonny Seal, who has the fastest 350 in the world. I doubt the car is streetable, it has dual quads on what appears to be a custom hi rise intake. I am sure some one on this list would know how to get a hold of him. You may also want to call Automotive Machine and Performance in Philpot Kentucky for build up advice and services, whichever engine you go with. For what it is worth I am building a 455 to go into a 69 GS350 now.

well mike i decided probbaly to go with this setup if it all works out 10.25 to 1 pistons forged a cam like crower or ta if ta it would be a 310 and if crower hi-draulic hauler part number 50260 by the way minke what's your rpm range on that engine also i have a ste of fully prepped forged rods like i said .30 overbore with ported heads and intake. i appreciate all your help mike thanks for taking the time to answer some of my questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Gee, I thought I was the only one who wanted a ridiculously fast LeSabre. Mine was a 69, before the garage fell on it. As far as the rear end parts(posi/gears), I couldn't find any after many phone calls to different suppliers. Apparently, Buick rear ends for full size cars are specific only to Buick, and aftermarket company makes parts for them. Too bad, as they seem to be superior to the Chevy 10 or 12 bolt. I'm assuming your 70 has a 10 bolt, like my 69. Did you actually find a 373 gear set, or were those just your plans. For a big old LeSabre, looking at the times you want, I'd consider something steeper, like 410 or 456. I ordered a 456 set from Richmond before I realized my 10 bolt wasn't the standard BOP 10 bolt, and they don't fit. I've posted a topic on full size rear end options on this site, but haven't had any real luck with info yet. Have you found headers that will fit on your car yet?

i did away with the 10 bolt and got a 9 inch posi for $50 i know its a ford but if it works it works also i did find some that are suppose to work but not sure i haven,t installed them cause the engine still at the machine shop also my set up is going to a 2500 stall converter with the 3:73 gears i wanted it to a daily driver yet kick some ass at the track i put my equations to the math formula posted at <A HREF="http://www.graetlakesdragway.com" TARGET=_blank>www.graetlakesdragway.com</A> and got 13's with my setup when i put the nitious in it will hit 11s so watch out 455s also everyone says go with a 455 it will be better but the way i think is why not do something different how many buick 350s do you see at a racetrack kicking a ford's or chevy's but none if your like me and i figure to do what i'm gonna do no matter what other people say well that just say 455s watch out cause when i get done this 4dr lesabre is gonna kick your butt and it will be street legal i figure if i'm gonna have a car i want to be able drive it home also forget the trailer give me some tunes a long strecth of freeway and will see who beats who. If i can help in any way let me know by the way were are you located maybe we should start a team. hmmmm what's a good name Team Lesabre or chevy, ford, dodge killer you decide.

I'm in Northwestern Wisconsin. Actually, my current 69 LeSabre is now junk as the garage collapsed due to snow load in March. I am sort of leaning towards a 64 or 65 Skylark, but you've inspired me to consider another LeSabre. I was going on the same theme as you, something totally different. However, I was going to use a 455(I was originally going to build up the 350, but decided against it). I actually sort of like the early 70s style LeSabre, too. We'll see, I guess. Any Buick is different than the run of the mill stuff, when it comes right down to it.

is anything good on that to try an maybe saving the car as far the team goes i live in racine,wi so hey thats cool we live close together like i said if you have a any questions i'll be glad to help i have some parts if you think you can restore the car.

I don't think parts are going to fix it. The roof is what is damaged, and actually, the quarterpanels were damaged by being pushed down by the roof. It's actually better than you'd think after the roof fell on it, but it wasn't a nice enough car to begin with to put that kind of labor into. I had to do a lot of rust repair damage on the frame, and for a race car, I think I would rather have one with a more solid frame. Older LeSabres like this are usually pretty cheap, all I have to do is find one with a decent frame, which is a challenge in itself in Wisconsin. The team idea sounds good to me, if I get a LeSabre and actually ever get to race. <P>Nick

I suppose the hood and trunklid are ok. The doors are probably restorable, except the passenger side rear window is broken. The front suspension is in pretty good shape, as are all of the brake pieces. The dash is ok, but the seats are pretty ragged. Back bumper and tail lights are good. Front bumper is ok, not good. Grill is good.<P>Nick

what about the feders on that car are they any good also i need the rear drivers side door if thats good email me a price and hey we can go from therealso would be interested in the dash itself if interested in selling give a phone number if you email me or i can give you mine thanks joe