Outside door handle removal 1953 Super

WillBilly53

I can't seem to figure out how to remove the outside door handle. I see in my manual and parts book that there is a handle retainer. I see that it essentially slides out. I've removed the weather stripping and support, but I don't see any screw, as the manual mentions, that is holding the retainer to lock pillar face. I've looked on the inside of the door and I see is the retainer, but no screw or anything else seems to be holding it. It seems like it should just slide out, but it ain't budging. Do I need more PB blaster or am I missing something else?

Guest shadetree77

Seems like, on my many internet parts searches, I have run across some kind of special tool that removes a retainer on the door handles. I could be wrong about that. Anybody else heard of one of these?

Look at the door jamb in the location of the door handle. You should see a phillipse head screw holding a small curved piece of metal that serves as a guard. Remove the screw and remove the metal guard. There is usually some putty sealing material in this location and you need to remove it. You will then see the end of the handle locking plate. Essentially at the end of the locking plate there is a right angle flat making the locking plate look like the letter "L" when removed. Wedge a large screw driver between this short part of the "L" and the door frame. Pry the locking plate back and it will release the door handle. You will need to apply a fair amount of pressure to begin to move the locking plate.

Joe, BCA 33493

Success! Thanks Joe and Robert. It seems it had been rusted a little to the inside of the door just a little bit. I sprayed another round of PB and tapped the retainer with a hammer. It came out like a charm, albeit with a little more force than I thought it would. Thanks!

post-31222-143139097059_thumb.jpg