Driver side turn signal lamp 880

Guest pamelahutson@verizon.net

I have changed the turn signal lamp on the driver side twice and the turn signal light works but the constant amber light does not. Are there two lights in the parking lights on the front? 89 Reatta Coupe One that is amber and one that is the turn signal. I can only find one socket. The right side works but the left side only works when the turn signal is on. any ideas?

Pam Chavez Hutson

The problem is the amber globe inside your light assembly is broken. The following link will explain what I'm talking about. You can repair the globe as the tutorial describes or you can purchase a used one from one of the parts vendors who frequent this forum and install it. Either way the light assembly must be removed and taken apart. Another option would be to buy a good used light assembly and install it.

NOTE: As stated in the tutorial, When you install the bulb into the amber globe it must not be longer than 1.5" from tip to gasket or it may damage the globe. Be aware that all 890 bulbs are not the same length. Sylvania/Wagner/GE are OK, unlabeled (marked 890 on box) may be too long and strike the globe.

Turn Signal Light Globe Repair

We may be confused by your discription. The turn signal is amber and flashes but next to it is the cornering lamp (different bulb) and it is white.

If you have a amber light when in parking light position, the the bulb is OK, but when you turn on the turn signal, a relay is picked and the bulb gets full 12V voltage and is much brighter, still amber and flashes. Next to the flashing amber bulb, you should have a bright white cornering bulb that is on constantly when that side turn signal is on. Compare the two sides

Guest Mc_Reatta

If the turn signal works but the same bulb does not light up constantly when parking lights are on it is either the ballast resistor block on the radiator support or the relay "E" in the underhood relay center. You can swap relays "E" and "F" and see if the problem switches to the other side. If it does replace the relay, if not get another resistor block from someone and replace that.

I may have given the wrong answer to the question. If that is the case please disregard my last post.

My answer was based on the following: "the turn signal light works but the constant amber light does not." I may have misunderstood the question.

Thanks to Barney, Ronnie, and McReatta.

Mc Reatta understood my garbled description the best. Sorry for not being clear. The turn signal bulb on the driver side is what I'm referring to. It Only lights up when the turn signal is activated. Otherwise it is off. I tried switching E & F breakers and it did not resolve the issue. The bulb I am using is a GE bulb and the correct part number. Any other ideas gentlemen? Again thanks for your help it is invaluable!

Pam

I forgot to say that while the turn signal works it does not flash in the instrument panel or chime either and it did before I had my car painted recently. Something disconnected perhaps?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Does the bulb itself flash, or is it on all the time the lever is actuated? May have problem with turn signal module or column switch causing loss of chime and indicator in IPC.

If switching the relays didn't change anything, it's most likely it's the resistor block that supplies the reduced voltage to power the parking light function. You'll need to obtain one from a junkyard or forum member. It's on the radiator support on the driver's side. I don't know if a photo or replacement procedure has been posted yet.

Here's NCReatta's instructions to getting to the resistor:

Remove the black plastic cover between the headlights under the hood. On the drivers side radiator support, you'll see a small little block with 3 wires coming out of it. Two brown and one black I think. This is the resistor for the turn signal/running lights.

Here's a link to the thread that shows the FSM diagram of it and tells how to test it:

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/parking-light-bulbs-304377.html

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta
I forgot to say that while the turn signal works it does not flash in the instrument panel or chime either and it did before I had my car painted recently. Something disconnected perhaps?

If the front turn signal works, the IPC indicator is on the same connection so should also flash.

There is a connector on both sides of the car that disconnects the parking lights. It's an 8 cavity connector (C119) that is under headlight assembly on the left front of the engine compartment. They may have disconnected that to remove the parking light assembly when they painted and not plugged it back correctly.

post-55241-14313910142_thumb.jpg

post-55241-143139101423_thumb.jpg