Horn Replacement

Guest My TC Toy

When mine went bad I first tried to clean the compressor. It worked a little better but still not properly. I then found out that one of the horn tubes was blown (pardon the pun). I opted to replace the whole thing. I purchased a Pfaff air horn set and mounted the new compressor exactly where the old one was and relocated the two new bugles to the centre bracket ahead of the radiator. I mounted one horn facing to the right and one to the left, it took less space. It worked out perfectly.

Good luck.

Bob

Mark, did you already try adding a good quality 3 in 1 or Teflon based lube to the compressor? Chances are it is barely spinning which makes for very low air/sound output. There is a small hole(some have a plastic plug in it) on the side of the compressor motor. Also I've sen the rubber line split where it attaches to the 'bugle'

Guest My TC Toy

If you take the compressor apart it is imperative that you re-install the fins inside in exactly the same position which they were removed from. These carbon ffins have seated and if reinstalled differently will not provide a good seal and consequently poor air supplies. Alos, when they wear, which is probably the situation, they tend to loose their compressive values.

Well, I managed to get the headlamp off without any damage. I ten removed the FIAMM air horn. However, there is no automotive supply store in Gunnison, Co. that has a replacement. Does anyone know where I can order a replacement FIAMM or similar horn that will fit? I don't have the technical skills to replace compressor as mentioned above. However, if that is best solution, I will find someone to assist. Thanks for the help.

Mark

Guest My TC Toy

If you check on e-bay you will find these horns. As far as technical skills, few are needed. The horns mount with a "L" bracket each and the compressor mounts with a simple nut and bolt. The only other item you will need is a length of air line, I believe I used a piece of 5/16", the "T" comes with the horns.

Good Luch.

BTY thanks for the correction Pfaff is a sewing machine, the horns ARE Fiamm!!! I can't see frightening anyone with the terrifying sounds of thread looping.

Regards

Bob

• 1 month later...
Guest george w

I've seen those inexpensive, aftermarket air horns that are sold in clear blister packs at the chain auto stores. The ones I've seen had FIAMM motors/compressors and red trumpets. I'd follow that AutoZone tip.

• 1 year later...
post-89473-143142502121_thumb.jpgHere is a picture of the two parts to the FIAMM horn. The beer can sized and shaped part is in the engine compartment right behind the passengers headlight. The horn part is backed up to the beer can connected by the rubber tube. The horn is harder to get to as other parts are going to have to be removed. First check both ends of the rubber tube to see that they are attached and then the condition of the rubber tube for leaks, crack or breaks. Next spray WD-40 in the hole in the side of the beer can then try the horn. If that does not work try another shot of WD-40 again in 30 minutes.