1948 Dodge 1 Ton Stake Truck (B1D)

Guest julmans1

Guest julmans1

Hi Folks...I'm new to the forum.

I have a 1948 Dodge B1D, 1 Ton Stake truck. Been used on the farms for close to fifty years and then sat in the barn for about 14 years.

I went to get a new exhaust on it today and on my way home the brakes went out on me. I was able to get her stopped with no damage. Ended up getting a flat bed haul three miles to my house.

The front of Truck is on jack stands. I have the left front tire off since brake fluid was leaking from the hub. I am figuring the brake cylinder inside the hub is leaking. I know I need to take off the axle bolt and cotter pin. Can anybody give me some direction on next steps?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Juls

post-86734-143139093353_thumb.jpg

Guest julmans1

I removed the cotter pin, and axle bolt, and the wheel bearring and the hub slid right off. I had easy access to the brake cylinder inside the hub. I removed the brake line on the back of the hub and loosened the two bolts on the back of the hub that holds the brake cylinder in place.

Now, I see that the brake cylinder parts are just put together and there doesn't seem like anything that really holds them together.

My question here is: Do I need to replace the rubber pieces inside the brake cylinder. The parts look like they are in good shape. This is where I am stumped because I don't think I will be able to buy replacement parts for the brake cylinder because they may not be in stock anywhere.

Do I just clean up the parts and try to put the brake cylinder back together?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Juls

You should be able to get new cups and brake parts from Napa. Take your parts into them and they will match them up. As a brake mechanic, I would suggest replacing the rubber parts.

Guest julmans1

Hi Keiser,

I was able to order a repair kit for the brake cylinder from Autozone Auto Parts. Thank you so much for your feedback...I really appreciate it.

I find it amazing how the fluid stays inside the brake cylinder. I guess the rubber pieces fit into the cylinder rather tightly and cause a suction so the fluid does not leak.

I hope to add pictures soon for this endeavor so that it may help someone else down the road. I will keep the forum up to date to my progress on rebuilding the brake cylinder.

Thanks,

Juls