Tires, tires ...............TireRack

Guest HessLakeGuy

Guest HessLakeGuy

Hello:

Before we went to Concord, NC I put new Continentals on the white 1989. They did well, but the ride is a bit stiffer than the Kuhmos that they replaced.

I now have another brand new set of the same tire on my 1990 Driftwood convert, and in the ride is much better than the BF Goodrichs that were on there. Only 110 miles on those tires so far.

I bought both sets at TireRack, which some of you may have tried over the years. We are less than 100 miles away, so delivery by UPS is quick.

Next years Buick show is near the TireRack headquarters in South Bend, IN. You can save shipping when you get your tires installed there, but then you might end up paying Indiana sales taxes.

Carolyn and I are heading down to South Bend in two weeks to check out the area (for the 2013 Rendevouz) and I plan on seeing what TireRack offers/is all about. I also hope to find out their sales taxes are, plus valve stem, install/balance/disposal fees. Maybe it would be an option for some people next July. Not sure.

I guess you have to use a phone call in any order that you get installed or pick up, not use the internet.

More in a few weeks.

Tom

• 1 year later...

I know this is an OLDER thread, but wanted to share a story about TIRE RACK.

In 1975 bride and I opened a new True Value Hardware store here in Indy. In 1979 a fellow walked into our store to buy some bolts, and nuts. In talking to him I learned he was in the process of opening a tire out in front of our store in an old gas station. He said it would be called the TIRE RACK. Over the next few months and years we became friends, and purchased several sets of tires from him.

He was involved with SCCA and was one of the first to SHAVE tires for better traction. He built a good business with performance tires. Then one day he told me he was moving his business back to the South Bend, In. area where his father-in-law was in the tire business too. He said he was going to start a MAIL ORDER TIRE and RIM BUSINESS.

Needless to say he has really grown the business.

Good for him, nice guy toooooooo.

Dale in Indy

Guest Corvanti

i have used Tire Rack several times and plan on using them again when i "re-tire" the Reatta soon. always been a positive experience.:) i've used one of their "recommended installers" nearby and also no problems.

they have warehouses across the country now, and i've always rec'd a call from the installer a couple of days prior to the expected arrival date.

i just went to their site and noticed they have quadrupled the "rec. installers" in this area from 2 years ago. includes Sears, Midas and a local tire chain store among others. and it lists the prices for mounting, balancing, etc...

they also have some nice wheels - (not necessarily for a Reatta).

just thought i'd share. most "beatch" & complain about shoddy service but forget to write about the "good".;)

Guest HessLakeGuy

Not sure what exit you would take, but you can see the facility as you drive the Indiana Toll Road, south side of the road. It is in the South Bend area.

Tom