Who can refurbish headliner bows for 1962 Olds Starfire Coupe?

These are the heavy plastic bows that were at one time clear with a silverish backing, with two black stripes that ran the length of the bow.

These "yellow" over the years, and was wondering if there was any home remedies as to what can be done to bring these back to their former glory, or if there is some sort of plastic vacuum platers who can do this. Was given a lead by someone who had this done for this exact same purpose, but when I called, was told that they "no longer do anything automotive". Damn, don't they want good money?? Oh well...

Please advise, and thanks,

Mike

You know, this is similar to the yellowing that happens to composite headlights, kinda. I wonder how far that yellowing goes into the material? Wondering if one of those headlight polishing kits might do the trick. As far as the stipes and the chrome finish, that could be repainted, if the old plating and paint could be stripped without damaging the plastic.

So many cars used these retainers (not just GM). You'd think someone would reproduce them.

Paul

Guest tbutter

You might want to go on line and check out cosmicchrome gold touch products the system seems to good to be true. they can give you a shop in your area that would be able to rechrome the bows. according to the shop i contacted no problem. Iam not quite ready for this yet still finishing engine and body work. hope this helps. tom

One thing to be aware of is that plastic gets more brittle with age AND shrinks.

The clear plastic with chrome backing looked really neat when new, but I suspect the discoloration is IN the material, not caused from oxidation from atmospheric exposure (as the newer plastic headlight units).

Therefore, EXTREME CARE in removing the items from the car, in transportation, AND reinstallation. In some respects, it might be best to make amends for the discoloration and add "They're original".

It IS possible to find 3M Mylar "chrome" tape in specific widths. If appropriate widths can be found, then putting this self-adhesive tape onto the existing bows, IN THE CAR, might be a decent option. Might also need to put them on like decals, with a "wet" solution on the bows so the tape could be properly positioned . . . which might be a tricky operation. This way, the bows would not necessarily need to be removed . . . hopefully.

Just a thought . . .

NTX5467

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Joe_Varley

Have had some plastic items rechromed by a place in western Canada and they came out really nice. They were '62 Starfire interior parts. If you can't find the place, let me know and maybe I can figure out the name. Seems like they were in Vancouver, BC.

Joe Varley

AZ

• 2 weeks later...