401ci - Intake blockoff plate? required?

Guest 1965cat

Guest 1965cat

I am currently rebuilding a 65 401 .030 over with stock cam, completely rebuilt heads, new pistons, balanced rods/crank,etc that is destined for a 65 Wildcat Conv.... I have put it together except for the Intake manifold.... The carter afb (3921) has grooves in the bottom plate for the exhaust heat that passes through the intake... Is it worth my time to put block off-plates on the intake manifold gasket over the exhaust passages for a little better performance on a daily driver or do I save stuff like this for a motor I would build for shear HP and Torque??? <P>Thanks,<P>Mark BCA# 372362

Mark,<BR>I would block off the heat crossovers. If you plan on driving it in traffic this will only help. We have done this with all our Nailheads. We live in northern Maine and we do not experience any problems with the choke. There are gasket sets available with the block offs in the set.<BR>Hope this helps, John.

The only reason to block it off is to reduce the chance of pinging or vapor lock. If those aren't concerns then I would leave the crossover because engines don't run as well when they are cold. They use more gas and the rings don't seal as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gsbuick65

i used some intake gaskets (from j&c parts) that had the passages blocked off with some sorta graffit gasket material, 6 mo. later pulled the intake off it burt through. i wouldn't use them again. didn't notice any advantage. mike

Guest 1965cat

Thanks for the Advice and info... after much debate, I will leave it stock (no block-off) and use a 180 degree thermostat.<P>Thanks,<P>Mark

Just for some more info, Buick offered "Export" intake gaskets with the block off there in the 50's. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"