1929 Studebaker Irskine roof wood framig patterns

Guest Hogstop

Guest Hogstop

Just purchased a 1929 Studebaker Erskine 4 door, and I need to replace all the roof wood including bows and stringers, but have no good wood for patterns. Does anybody know where I might find the patterns for this? Thanks, Dennis

Edited by Hogstop (see edit history)

Guest Hogstop

Man....Sure tough on the new guy...lol. Been a Ford guy forever, but got a good so....Any input on parts or framing patterns? Got some wire wheels and shocks and stuff I'd get rid of if you know anyone that need them. Thanks, Dennis

Irskine? No such car. There is an Erskine, though. :)

Terry

Edited by Hogstop (see edit history)

Guest stude8

First thing be sure to have the serial number of the car to be sure it is a 1929 model like you think it is, then contact the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN [Studebaker National Museum - Official Website or 888-391-5600, ask for Andrew Beckman] about availability of the factory blue print copy for the wood body roof section they have on file. They can supply copies of most prewar model prints they keep on file. There is charge for this service, ask how much when calling in. Stude8

Guest Hogstop

WOW!! Thanks a lot that should be very helpful. I appretiate the information. The Erskine I have is a four door, but I haven't found a specific model number, just a serial number plate that has a serial number of 5058117, and a Fullvision Budd body patent plate. Any info where or how to find a model? Thanks again, Dennis

post-86667-143139091193_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8

Dennis: That looks like a fairly solid car to start on, your serial number does check out to be a 1929 Erskine Model 52, 43 HP, 160.4 CI engine, 109" wheel base.

A description in an older Antique Studebaker Review news letter stated "the 1929 Erskine was introduced in mid-year 1929 at the same time that the other Studebaker products were restyled. Although the powerplant was unchanged, the wheel base was increased to 109 inches and a couple hundred pounds weight added. Changes in body lines were introduced to make the Erskine now look more like the other Studebaker cars. The old continental flair so painstakingly achieved by Dietrich was completely gone, along with all the character and cuteness that the marque once possessed. Cowl lights, polo cap visor, headlight bar emblem and double bar bumpers a la Studebaker were added, and for the first time the factory price of an Erskine went over the $1000 mark. The Royal sedan with wire wheels and trunk rack listed at $1045."

Serial numbers for 1929 Erskines ran from 5,047,401 thru 5,073,000.

Stude8

Guest Hogstop

WOW again!! Thanks for all your help. I'm feeling a lot better about this project now that I'm finding some good information. Sure appreciate you sharing all your knowlege. Thanks again, Dennis

Guest stude8

I was almost positive I had a 1929 Erskine brochure to scan a copy of but can't locate it at the moment. I did find what I think is a 1931 Erskine brochure that I can't for certain date but it shows details saying it has bigger cubic inch engine and longer 114" wheel base than 1929. You should be able to right click on the images and save to your computer and print the pages out.

Stude8

post-31139-143139091862_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143139091795_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14313909181_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143139091822_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143139091835_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143139091848_thumb.jpg

John; That is a 1930 model 53 folder, (the last 1/2 model year for the Erskine). Hogstop should most certainly join the ASC to avail himself of membership help. There are a lot of Erskines in the club. You may also recall that the entire July/August 2001 issue of the Review was devoted to the Erskine. I believe I have a spare copy. post-30776-143139091915_thumb.jpg