53 Engine and tranny, COMPLETE....WOW

MrEarl

Not mine but if it wasn't half way across the country it would be. What a deal. the breather is worth the asking. Plus, this thing is loaded with one year only parts such as the breather, water maniflod, right exhaust manifold, steering pulley, and more. If anyone buys it I'd appreciate a shot at buying the crankshaft pulley.

1953 Buick Nail head engine

post-31987-143139089469_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139089465_thumb.jpg

Latimer where? Colorado? Why would you want a part off a 53 Nailhead if you are a 54 guy? Must interchange I guess.

Latimer, Iowa I presume. About an hour due north of Ames. Parted out, could easily net about $800-1000

I just love the looks of that big ol hunk of cast iron engine and tranny with that big snouted breather sittin so proudly on top, just sittin there in the middle of a dirt road. Cool

Actually a lot of parts, some as mentioned above, will interchange but would not be correct on a 54. I just happen to collect double and triple cast iron crankshaft pulleys. Not really worth much, just make great barn wall art. ;)

Surprised a 53 Skylark guy hasn't snatched it up already.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Did you guys notice the blurb about it not turning??

That could be a problem, unless you just want it there to gloat over!! LOL

I read the part, "won't turn", and would want to know more, hole in block wouldn't be nice. Probably not an issue, but WHY SO CHEAP?

Dale in Indy

I'm talking parting it out, so the only problem of it not turning would be in trying to separate the tranny from the engine and getting to the torque converter bolts. I bet I could get that sucker turning within two weeks.

Actually a hole in the block is what makes this engine somewhat unique and IMO valuable. 53's were the only year 322's had the hole in the back of the block for use in timing it with the mark on the flywheel.

I'll stick to my guns, if it was within a tank of gas, it would already be in a corner of the barn.

. . . . . Actually a hole in the block is what makes this engine somewhat unique and IMO valuable. 53's were the only year 322's had the hole in the back of the block for use in timing it with the mark on the flywheel.

I'll stick to my guns, if it was within a tank of gas, it would already be in a corner of the barn . . . . .

Here's an idea . . . . .

I read somewhere on another thread recently that there might be a couple of BCA BOD/Officers that live in Iowa and might be close by. ;) Ask one of them if they're willing to stash it in their trunk and deliver it to you at the 2013 BCA Nationals in South Bend, Indiana. It would save you at least a couple of tank fulls.

Yeah, it was tempting, but you can only accumulate so many parts. How many do you want to buy? Not too many guys looking for 1953 Buick engine parts nowadays.

You are correct on the "hole in the block" for timing purposes on 1953 only, Buick V8 322 c.i. engine blocks. See pics.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-143139094381_thumb.jpg

post-41556-14313909419_thumb.jpg

OK, I called this guy, real nice fellow. He said someone bought it for $200, took the top end, pulleys etc and left the short block and transmission. Gutted the good stuff? He said he had it outback for 30 years. So if someone wants the short block and Dynaflow, it's still there.

OK, I called this guy, real nice fellow. He said someone bought it for $200, took the top end, pulleys etc and left the short block and transmission. Gutted the good stuff? He said he had it outback for 30 years. So if someone wants the short block and Dynaflow, it's still there.

Keep your eye on eBay for all the goodies. I don't suppose you happened to remember your friend who collects cast iron crankshaft pullies and asked if they took that along with the top end. I'll give him a call and see and ask if he would pull it for me.

edit) Jerry's Mailbox is Full :(:mad: (what a pitiful a** smilie)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Keep your eye on eBay for all the goodies. I don't suppose you happened to remember your friend who collects cast iron crankshaft pullies and asked if they took that along with the top end. I'll give him a call and see and ask if he would pull it for me.

edit) Jerry's Mailbox is Full :(:mad: (what a pitiful a** smilie)

It's right up the road. I'll call him back and/or go get it for you.

Latimer, Iowa I presume. About an hour due north of Ames. Parted out, could easily net about $800-1000

I just love the looks of that big ol hunk of cast iron engine and tranny with that big snouted breather sittin so proudly on top, just sittin there in the middle of a dirt road. Cool

Actually a lot of parts, some as mentioned above, will interchange but would not be correct on a 54. I just happen to collect double and triple cast iron crankshaft pulleys. Not really worth much, just make great barn wall art. ;)

Surprised a 53 Skylark guy hasn't snatched it up already.

Just happen to collect,not worth much,great barn art,hahaha,hook,line,and sinker across dry land!

Mr. Earl, I have the info on the '56 322 that I told you about. I just talked to him a few minutes ago, and he still has it. It is freshly rebuilt, his name is Dave, 618-697-2723, lives in Anna, Illinois. He is expecting a call from you. He is also looking for a 3X2 carb set-up for a 364 in case you know of one. Thanks, Paul