DB Coupe Vin Help

Guest moparmut

Guest moparmut

Hello, After waiting for the last 10 years I finally bought a DB car. Got it off ebay last month and picked it up yesterday. I bought two coupe bodys and one frame. The body that has the frame sat in a creeck on the driver side for about 40 years and the other body some one has taken a sawzal and cutting torch to it. Between the both I can make a solid car. Here is the problem the cars have no title, toe boards are also gone. The only thing I have as in a serial number that I can find is 898-054. Both cars were three window tops so im thinking the frame is a 1923. Can someone help me figure out how to make is frame number in to a useable DOT number. I have not found anything on the web to help decode the frame number.

The only thing I have as in a serial number that I can find is 898-054. Both cars were three window tops so im thinking the frame is a 1923. Can someone help me figure out how to make is frame number in to a useable DOT number. I have not found anything on the web to help decode the frame number.

According to the mechanics information manual, 898054 corresponds to a build date of early May 1923, which would be a 1923 model year.

The frame number is the same as the number found on the data plate on the toe board. Here in Colorado that is the VIN number...the current descriptive VIN format didn't come along until much later. Check with your local motor vehicle office to see how to register it.

Keith

Guest moparmut

I got the car from Oklahoma, and I called my local DMV when I bought the car. They told me that Oklahoma was a state that had to have a title to sell the car. No if and's or but's about it. So the thought popped in to my head, Mechanics lean. So I just need to get some info to get the ball rolling and wasnt sure on the build year. This helps alot thank you.

Looks like you can apply for a title right from the Oklahoma Tax Commission. See: http://www.tax.ok.gov/mvforms/701-7.pdf OR: http://www.tax.ok.gov/mvforms/701-6.pdf . You also may need to present them with this tax form: http://www.tax.ok.gov/mvforms/722-1.pdf . Who knows, you may need this form also: http://www.tax.ok.gov/mvforms/753.pdf . The only question is whether they use Engine Number or Serial/Frame Numbers for titling in OK. Best I can find is they use Serial Numbers (which you seem to have) or what they sometimes call a "Body" number. I saw no mention of using an Engine Number for anything. This reference may help give you some info: http://www.tax.ok.gov/rules/Rules2012/Chapter%2060%20Motor%20Vehicles.pdf .

So, it would seem you can apply for an OK Title using your Frame's Number and then bring it to IL for them to transfer to an IL Title. Then you will be all set. The other body you purchased is just a car part and apparently doesn't need titling in OK. This is just MY OPINION from what I have read. You will need to make your own decisions as to what all these links mean and how to proceed.

Good luck! It can ALWAYS be problematic to purchase a car intended for road use at some point, without having any official paperwork showing the transfer. I always say, have at least a "Bill-of-Sale" and a way to contact the seller after you make the deal. Title from the seller is even better!

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest moparmut

I did get a bill of sale from the seller however he and I thought the were 22s. The guy was real good to deal with. Im sure he would mail me a new bill of sale if needed. He had two other 4 cycle engines but the didnt match my frame. Thank you for the help.

Maybe HE should be the guy applying for the duplicate OK title. Then, once he has that, you proceed with the usual transfer during sale as normal. You would then have the necessary title from OK so you can apply for an IL title. This is the way it really should have happened in the first place if you intended to put the car/frame on the road anywhere.

The laws in most States are setup pretty tightly so the State gets it's tax and transfer monies. Usually trying to "go around" these rules results in problems like you are experiencing. The "owner" in OK needed to have paper on the vehicle. So either he did and lost them, or he never transferred the title into his name when he bought it to avoid tax or transfer fees (jumped title). Either way, it would be his responsibility to have the proper paperwork (title) to transfer to you during your purchase, and it is important that you ask for and get a proper title when you shell out the cash. If not, the States have written laws so as to catch up with all this somehow. Pretty hard to get around when it is much easier to just "do it right".

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)