Brake lights wont turn off

Bushwack

I usually don't like boasting that living in SoCal is the best thing since slice bread. I kinda feel saying as much is like rubbing sand in an open wound to many. Truth is, having lived for most of three years in Colorado, I envy those who get to experience seasonal changes. But this time around,.. I love L.A. :)

I rented one of the Reattas for five days for a commercial shoots for a toiletry I never heard of sold in Europe. It seems to be a commercial mini-series for toiletries. Car was never driven and either myself or my nephew stayed on set the entire time. If anyone wants to me to post further on this experience for another thread, let me know (kind of interesting). OK...now the problem.

On my way home this morning as the shoot finished, I put the hazards on and pulled to the side of the road to get something out of the trunk. Came back in the car, turned off the hazards and drove away. 20 minutes later when I parked the car in the garage and started walking away, I saw my brake lights were on (ignition was off, lights were off, center brake light was off but rear brake (and not tail) lights stayed on).

I troubleshooted the problem by pulling the #6 fuse inside the car. Pulling the fuse, the lights when off. I then put the fuse back in, turned on the ignition and the lights stayed off (and would turn on/off as they should when applying the brakes). Drove the car for a few minutes and everything was fine. I then turned into a small strip center, parked head out (so I can see the taillights of the car through the rear view mirror) and confirmed everything was working as it should. I then turned on the hazards for a minute, turned them off and now the problem came back - brake lights stayed on no matter if the ignition was on or off.

I turned off the car, pulled the #6 fuse again, re-inserted and all is fine.

My guess for now is I have a problem with the brake switch underneath the IP. It seems when I engage the hazards, it triggers the brake lights to stay on.

Anyone have any other possibilities/suggestions?

Guest Corvanti

a "dirty" or short in the hazard switch or wiring between the switch, fuse and brake switch? maybe the "brake switch capacitor"?

in my service manual (89 final edition) there's info on page 8A-110-20 with a schematic on 8A-110-6.

hope that helps! :)

i grew up in Pomona, Ca. the only thing i miss this time of year is the "low humidity", and a decent Chile Relleno... ;)

Does it go out if you pull up on the brake pedal ?

Personally, am an east coaster & like living in a warm resort in a state with no income tax & within five miles of a point where no human habitation is visible.

Guest 89 Maui

Bushwack -

I am looking at FSM 8a-110-6 which shows the interconnections of the hazard and brake circuit. I believe the problem is in the turn hazard module. Due to the problem of the hazard sw being selected causes the hazard flasher to activate, which works, but when you deselect the hazard sw the brake lights stay on and don't flash. The brake lights won't shut off until you pull Fuse 6 which removes 12V off the TURN/HAZARD MODULE. There must be a bad ciruit within the module that tells the brake lights to remain on when the hazard sw is selected then deselected.

Bushwack-

what year is the car in question? If an 88 or 89 it could certainly be the turn/hazard module. If a 90 or 91, could be as simple as the conventional mechanical flasher sticking in the on position for some strange reason. Can't say I've ever seen that failure mode from a metal can flasher, but anything is possible. Keep in mind that both the brake lights and the hazard lights remain live even with the ignition off, so either circuit could be at fault. that said, I am leaning towards a bad flasher given the apparent link to the use of the hazard lights.

Oh, and please do provide more details of the shoot for which your Reatta were requested. I find it interesting that a European hygiene product would want a relatively obscure (especially in Europe I'd imagine!) American 2 seater for a video shoot promoting their product. I would like to hear more, if you are inclined to start another thread on the subject.

KDirk

It is a 1990 vert. I'll troubleshoot the problem during the week. Speaking to my mechanic earlier today, he's betting the problem is a brake light switch. But there is no rush as the car is still drivable as long as the hazard lights dont get used.

As for the commercial shoot, I'll explain in a new thread.

• 1 year later...
Guest llamalor2112

Just today our 91 decided that the brake lights will not turn off. Not sure where issue is as brake pedal switch activates the third brake light on/off but the tail lamps remain on... Would really prefer figuring out before battery dies

Guest llamalor2112

Answered myself here. Moisture. Suspected moisture in lamp housing drove it til it warmed n dried n no more lights. Back to normal

Guest Mc_Reatta

There's a good chance it is one of the brake switches going out of adjustment.

If it happens again, or as a preventative do the following procedure:

post-55241-143142353899_thumb.jpg

Guest llamalor2112

Was it with both the tail And third brake lights? The problem is back but the tails are the only ones sticking. We were wondering if it's a single switch or two switches for the brakes?

Guest Mc_Reatta

There are two switches and a vent valve operated by the brake pedal.

The valve vents the vacuum in the cruise servo to deactivate the steady throttle hold.

One of the electrical switches signals the BCM to turn off the cruise and also controls the TCC solenoid operation.

The other switch has two contacts that turn on the rear brake lights, and the high level stop light.

If the brake lamps in the taillight function but not the high level stop light or vice versa, then that switch needs to be replaced not adjusted.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest llamalor2112

Ok, here's my question as I guess I'm not understanding something. Does the brake light switch screwed into the bracket or does it push in?

Guest Mc_Reatta
Ok, here's my question as I guess I'm not understanding something. Does the brake light switch screwed into the bracket or does it push in?

It pushes into the retainer.

Guest llamalor2112

Hmmm. I'm trying to get the old one out and it doesn't want to come regardless of how hard I pull. Does it need to be twisted somehow first or anything that might hold it in place?