Right rear wheel loose on 27 Buick Standand

Old26Buick

The right rear wheel on my 27 Standard appears to be loose. The wheel will move in and out just a tiny bit. I tighten the outside axle nuts. Can I take the play out by tighting the inside axle nut? When taking a right turn something rubes. The left side is OK. Thanks for any Help.

The axle is tapered, the external nut is meant to pull the hub tight onto the taper. There is also a keyway to stop the hub spinning

on th axle. If the nut hasn,t been tightened properly and held in position by the locking tab, the hub may be worn, or the key may be preventing

the hub being properly tightened onto the axle. Maybe the nut has reached the end of its thread , try putting a large washer on, so you have a bit more thread

to tighten further. A wheel I had on a 25 standard was so loose I had to wrap thin metal around the taper to tighten it up.

YOU CAN MOVE THE WHEEL AND HUB IN ABOUT .010 TO .020 INCHES. mAYBE THATS NORMAL. tHE LEFT SIDE IS TIGHT AND MY OTHER bUICK HAS NO MOVEMENT AT ALL. mAYBE i SHOULD TAKE REAR END COVER OFF AND MAKE SUE AXLE NUT IS TIGHT???

This is 1927 Standard axle cut view if it helps. Are you sure it is the wheel wobbling, not only the rim loose or not true?

The axle nut on the inner end is castellated and is locked in place with a cotter pin. Sometimes there is a little play at that end where the axle can move in and out slightly. If that's what it is you might be able to shim it with a washer but if it's a tenth of an inch it may not matter that much.

Dave