Advice on patching floor pans

Guest Caribou

Guest Caribou

I've got rust holes in the floor pans, and in the shaped steel behind the seat back. I've looked into new pans and sheet metal, but there's nobody manufacturing them for my car. Now a lot of the welders/car guys I know out here have suggested that I just use fibreglass to patch it, because I can both fill the holes and shape it as desired.

I know this isn't ideal, but does it work? Is there anything I should be concerned about? I'll be dropping carpet and seats over the holes eventually, so really what I need is something structurally sound that won't let water/exhaust/dust through in either direction.

My instinct had been to try to cut out the rust and try to fill or cover the holes with sheet metal, hammered into shape. That's not what I'm hearing from people around me.

Any advice on this would be appreciated, I'd attach pictures if I had any handy. I'm not going for show condition right now, I just want to have the car preserved and on the road.

Floor pans are tricky to make. They need rolled in stiffening ribs or they will "oil can" and make popping noises.

When I was more ambitious I looked at some coupes with no floor and thought about cutting floors from a late model pickup to fit. I'd think the same way doing a car like yours. Just poke around the junkyards for a latter similar rust free pan, cut it out, and weld it in. But for sure us existing pans for the ribs.

Bernie

You might be best finding something used. It is getting harder to find but they are out there.

Here's a place to try: Freman's Auto

He has a lot of stock. He takes a long time to reply and he can be pricey but his parts are good. I've heard his sipping is good. I drove down and was astounded by what he has there!

Where are you located in Alberta?

Guest Caribou
You might be best finding something used. It is getting harder to find but they are out there.

Here's a place to try: Freman's Auto

He has a lot of stock. He takes a long time to reply and he can be pricey but his parts are good. I've heard his sipping is good. I drove down and was astounded by what he has there!

Where are you located in Alberta?

Yeah, I've made some calls about pans, and I'll keep looking, but I need to keep options open.

I'm just outside of Athabasca.

There is nothing wrong with fiberglass as long as the area patched is not structural. It will seal and encapsulate rust a good as POR-15...if it makes you feel better paint with POR-15 and apply the fiberglass: one layer up to 2" hole; two layers up to 4" hole. I have vehicles that have 20 year old patches...no failures...nobody can see it without disassembly.

Willie

Guest Caribou
Cool! I'm in Fort mac and go through Athabasca often.

Hey, good to know there are fellow lunatics out there. I thought everyone else in the province just collected jacked up F350s. :)